1993 Pontiac Bonneville transmission will not shift into ov

DJSCUZZ
  • 1993 PONTIAC BONNEVILLE
My quiestion concerns my transmission. Whenever I accelerate rapidly from a dead stop or after only going a 5 - 15 miles per hour, like when trying to pass someone going far too slow, my car will not want to shift out of first gear. The service engine soon light will come on and I'll have to slow down to 5 - 15 miles per hour again for a couple of seconds before it will shift out of first gear. The other thing that happens is that it will not go into overdrive until the service engine soon light goes off. The service engine soon light, overdrive problem usually lasts for half a day to a full day. But now it's been more than a day and my car still will not shift into overdrive. Please help.
Monday, February 18th, 2008 AT 6:20 PM

MASTERTECHTIM
Usually the not shifting out of first gear when passing is actually caused by a clogged fuel filter. Yes a clogged fuel filter. The check engine light will probably be code 44 which is lean exhaust caused by the fuel filter. Hope this helps
Monday, February 18th, 2008 AT 7:18 PM
DJSCUZZ
Thanks for trying to help mastermechanictim. I changed my fuel filter about 2 months ago and it had this problem before the filter change and still after the filter change, so that eliminates the possibility of a fuel filter problem. My dad, who was a master mechanic back in the 80's, said it could possibly be a vacuum problem. If anyone else has some advice as to what it could be, that would be appreciiated. Thanks once again for responding mastermechanictim.
+1
Tuesday, February 19th, 2008 AT 7:08 AM
MASTERTECHTIM
There is a vacuum modulator on the front of the transmission if you look straight down when the hood is open, although not common to fail it is a possibility. Check to see if there is ported vacuum at the valve or check to see if the vacuum line came disconnected. Also if the vacuum line is really soft and bloated looking this usually means the modulator valves diaphram is leaking and this too could cause your problem.
+1
Tuesday, February 19th, 2008 AT 9:14 AM
DJSCUZZ
Thanks for trying to help mastertechtim. I actually ended up taking my car in and had them check the trouble code that my cars computer was giving. It turned out that my throttle positioning sensor was bad. It was putting my car into failsafe. This of course is why my car wouldn't shift into overdrive. Everything seems to be working fine now. Thanks once again for trying to help.
Monday, February 25th, 2008 AT 4:18 PM