1986 OLDSMOBILE DELTA 88 WILL NOT CRANK?

• tosh72
  • 1986 Oldsmobile Delta 88

1986 Oldsmobile Delta 88 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 165000 miles

Turn key to start car and nothing. No click, no crank. Have replaced the ignition switch and starter solenoid. Battery voltage @ 12.6V. Took starter off and bench tested and it engages when hooked up to power. Any other ideas? Thanks!

Saturday, August 1st, 2009 AT 7:14 AM

• obxautomedic

Have you tried to jump start it? Just because the battery shows 12.6v (a full charge) doesn't mean the battery isn't bad. A multimeter will not show you what the cranking amps are and if there are No or they are very low it can cause your problem.

Also check your ground wire make sure it is clean and making good contact at engine block. A bad ground could also create your problem.

One more thing to check is the Neutral Safety Switch. Try putting the gear shift into neutral
and try to start.

.

Saturday, August 1st, 2009 AT 7:23 AM
  • tosh72

I have tried to jump start it with no luck. I have also tried shifting into Neutral and starting and get the same result (nothing). Will check the ground on the block.

Saturday, August 1st, 2009 AT 8:22 AM
  • obxautomedic

If that check or look good check the Fusable Links...

In diagram check Fuse link "A" . I am not sure if they are labeled, so you may need a test light to check either side of link.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/188069_86delta88fuselink_1.jpg

.

Saturday, August 1st, 2009 AT 8:39 AM
  • tosh72

Fusible links checked out okay. Finally got a second pair of hands to assist so I could do some further probing and found that when I turn the key to start I have power up to the neutral safety switch at the yellow wire but nothing coming out of the purple wire that goes to the solenoid. The neutral safety switch is brand new as of 2 days ago. Any ideas?

Tuesday, August 4th, 2009 AT 11:03 AM
  • obxautomedic

Ok, Do you have a Digital Dash? And did they ask you that when you got the switch? If they didn't ask you may have gotten the wrong switch.

Will check some other possible causes and get back with you.

.

Wednesday, August 5th, 2009 AT 6:21 PM
  • tosh72

Do not have the digital dash and did get the switch for the non-digital dash.

Wednesday, August 5th, 2009 AT 7:43 PM
  • obxautomedic

Ok, turn headlights on and try starting the car have someone watch the headlights. Do they continue to shine bright with no dimming? If so try adjusting the Neutral Safety Switch.

Also does your vehicle have the Brake Pedal Safety Switch. If so it could be the cause.

.

Thursday, August 6th, 2009 AT 8:31 PM
  • tosh72

No dimming of the lights when I tried to start the car. Adjusted the neutral safety switch from one end to the other and many spots in between and still nothing. I could find nothing about an interupt switch on the brake pedal for starting in Mitchell On Demand.

Wednesday, August 12th, 2009 AT 8:58 AM
  • obxautomedic

Ok, well I'm leaning toward the possibility that you got a defective Neutral Switch. It doen't happen often but it does happen. Especially since you said that you were getting power to in just not out of it.

.

Thursday, August 13th, 2009 AT 9:30 PM
  • tosh72

I jumped the neutral safety switch pigtail and am now getting power down to the solenoid but it still doesn't click or anything. So I tried using a screwdriver to jump the starter and it still does nothing and the spark is really weak. I am going to replace the starter and see if that doesn't fix my problem.

Thursday, August 13th, 2009 AT 9:57 PM