WILL NOT CRANK?

1986 Oldsmobile Delta 88

tosh72

August, 1, 2009 AT 7:14 AM

1986 Oldsmobile Delta 88 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 165000 miles

Turn key to start car and nothing. No click, no crank. Have replaced the ignition switch and starter solenoid. Battery voltage @ 12.6V. Took starter off and bench tested and it engages when hooked up to power. Any other ideas? Thanks!

obxautomedic

August, 1, 2009 AT 7:23 AM

Have you tried to jump start it? Just because the battery shows 12.6v (a full charge) doesn't mean the battery isn't bad. A multimeter will not show you what the cranking amps are and if there are No or they are very low it can cause your problem.

Also check your ground wire make sure it is clean and making good contact at engine block. A bad ground could also create your problem.

One more thing to check is the Neutral Safety Switch. Try putting the gear shift into neutral
and try to start.

.

tosh72

August, 1, 2009 AT 8:22 AM

I have tried to jump start it with no luck. I have also tried shifting into Neutral and starting and get the same result (nothing). Will check the ground on the block.

obxautomedic

August, 1, 2009 AT 8:39 AM

If that check or look good check the Fusable Links...

In diagram check Fuse link "A" . I am not sure if they are labeled, so you may need a test light to check either side of link.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/188069_86delta88fuselink_1.jpg

.

tosh72

August, 4, 2009 AT 11:03 AM

Fusible links checked out okay. Finally got a second pair of hands to assist so I could do some further probing and found that when I turn the key to start I have power up to the neutral safety switch at the yellow wire but nothing coming out of the purple wire that goes to the solenoid. The neutral safety switch is brand new as of 2 days ago. Any ideas?

obxautomedic

August, 5, 2009 AT 6:21 PM

Ok, Do you have a Digital Dash? And did they ask you that when you got the switch? If they didn't ask you may have gotten the wrong switch.

Will check some other possible causes and get back with you.

.

tosh72

August, 5, 2009 AT 7:43 PM

Do not have the digital dash and did get the switch for the non-digital dash.

obxautomedic

August, 6, 2009 AT 8:31 PM

Ok, turn headlights on and try starting the car have someone watch the headlights. Do they continue to shine bright with no dimming? If so try adjusting the Neutral Safety Switch.

Also does your vehicle have the Brake Pedal Safety Switch. If so it could be the cause.

.

tosh72

August, 12, 2009 AT 8:58 AM

No dimming of the lights when I tried to start the car. Adjusted the neutral safety switch from one end to the other and many spots in between and still nothing. I could find nothing about an interupt switch on the brake pedal for starting in Mitchell On Demand.

obxautomedic

August, 13, 2009 AT 9:30 PM

Ok, well I'm leaning toward the possibility that you got a defective Neutral Switch. It doen't happen often but it does happen. Especially since you said that you were getting power to in just not out of it.

.

tosh72

August, 13, 2009 AT 9:57 PM

I jumped the neutral safety switch pigtail and am now getting power down to the solenoid but it still doesn't click or anything. So I tried using a screwdriver to jump the starter and it still does nothing and the spark is really weak. I am going to replace the starter and see if that doesn't fix my problem.

Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Starter Replacement
Battery Replacement