COLLAPSING GAS TANK

1996 Oldsmobile Ciera

Edward Hudgens

March, 4, 2010 AT 10:08 PM

1996 Oldsmobile Ciera 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 135000 miles

I am not sure yet but I think that my Gas Tank might be Collapsing. I have heard several years ago that a gas tank can start to Collapse if the vapor recovery system is blocked off. This car once had a 22 gallon tank, now it will only take 17 gallons after it ran dry, and that was the first time I ran it dry, because I knew it had not gone the distance from the last fill-up. I just taught my gas gauge was going bad.

Dos this make since?

I became confused the Gas Tank was OK. The car's Tank is only a 17 gallon tank to began with, but I got it confused with another car I once had. The Gas Filter was all plugged up which became a much grater problem after running out of gas.

Thank you

Jacobandnickolas

April, 9, 2010 AT 10:30 AM

The chances of the tank collapsing are very slim. It is a steel tank and very rigid. Craw under the car and check it out. It is located in the area of the rear axle.

Let me know what you find.

Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Filters Replacement 2015 RAM 2500 6.7L