Engine won't start

MOPALEN
  • 2000 OLDSMOBILE BRAVADA

2000 Oldsmobile Bravada 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 130000 miles

I usually drive my car daily, but a week ago I left it sitting in my driveway for two days without starting it. I went to start it on the third day and the car sounded like it wanted to start but it never did. The battery died and I thought it was that at first, but I charged it and tried it again, and no start. Then I tried a different battery and it still wouldn't start. I also tried using starting fluid and it fired but it did not start, so its not a spark problem. Anything else I can try so I can start it? Or do I have to take it in?

Sunday, March 14th, 2010 AT 5:44 PM

RBECKER
  • 2000 OLDSMOBILE BRAVADA
  • AWD

My car wont start when it's cold out what could the problem be?

Saturday, March 18th, 2017 AT 9:17 AM (Merged)
RBECKER

It has 120,000 miles on it

Next time it refuses to start don't wait for it to make up its mind-do below immediately to determine if its fuel or spark problem

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if okay-check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing.

ROBERTALEXANDER
  • 2000 OLDSMOBILE BRAVADA

When you park on a hill the fuel seems to run back into the tank. I have replaced the fuel cap thinking that it didnt seal very well, but thats not it

ASEMASTER6371

It sounds like a baffle in the tank has broken loose allowing fuel to slosh too much exposing the pick up screen for the pump. Have it checked to verify but I have seen it a lot on gm products.

-1
ROBERTALEXANDER

Is the fuel pump in the tank as well?

-1
ASEMASTER6371

Yes it is.

-1
2000 OLDS OWNER
  • 2000 OLDSMOBILE BRAVADA

Engine problem
2000 Oldsmobile Bravada 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 93000 miles

Car would turn over but not start. Diagnosed as fuel pump. Replaced fuel pump 3 weeks ago, now it is doing same thing again. Any ideas?

-1
Saturday, March 18th, 2017 AT 9:18 AM (Merged)
BMRFIXIT

The fuel pump should be replaced as module thats every thing in the tank
also check the terminal at the connector plug rust or burn

-1
ZACK99
  • 2000 OLDSMOBILE BRAVADA

2000 Oldsmobile Bravada 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 137000 miles

Our Bravada works fine in warm weather. But once temp falls under 20 degrees at night it wont start until it warms back up above 30 degrees or so.

When it doesn't start, I need you to check something. Is it getting spark and fuel?

My first thought is the ambient temp sensor that is responsible for making the fuel mixture richer to start cold.

LEt me know if you are getting both spark and fuel when it doesn't start. Actually, see if it will start with starting fluid. If it does, my guess is the sensor.

LEt me know what you find.

JF781981
  • 2000 OLDSMOBILE BRAVADA
  • AWD

I recently replaced a fuel pump on my bravada. My gas tank has a leak so I replaced the tank with a used one from a junk yard.

When lowering the leaky tank it slipped and fell breaking a post from my fuel pump. I decided to use the fuel pump that came with the tank to save money. TUrning the key, I can hear the pump kicking on and off but not starting the car. Now my car kicks a P0452 code. I notice my pressure sensor could use replacing. But would that cause it not to start?

ALSO I noticed in the bottom of the used tank I got a little bulb looking thing rolling around, I removed it. I assume it connects to the vent on the gas tank. WOULD that be a reason for it not to start? Lastly I read on another post where someone was having my issue and a response was is your does your battery constantly die. Could the two be related? Even jumping my car for a half hour, if the cables are off it dies very fast. Any help appreciated.

I assume it COULD be a bad pump but hoping not. Thanks in advance

MARV-ELLIS
  • 18 POSTS

The P0452 is a low fuel tank pressure code. If you look under the hood, you should be able to find a pressure test port near the center of the intake where the fuel lines enter. It should look like a valve stem cap on a tire. If you can borrow a fuel pressure gauge and attach it here, you will be able to take a manual pressure reading. I will have to look up the specs for sure, but I believe it should be between 50 and 60 psi. If fuel pressure is too low the vehicle will not start. The injectors on the 4.3 vortec are pressure activated and wont open even if the fuel pressure is one or two psi lower than spec. Considering that its a used fuel pump on what already is a sensitive fuel system, I would verify pressure before wasting time on anyother tests.

JF781981

When checking the pressure should the vehicle be in the on position or key off

MARV-ELLIS
  • 18 POSTS

Key on cranking the engine so that it has enough time to build fuel pressure.

SATURNTECH9

Just to add to this one that code has nothing to with fuel pressure for the engine running. Thats the pressure sensor that measures the vacuum of the fuel tank not pressure but vacuum. Its used to see if there is a leak in the evap system its basicially a map sensor and is used as a map sensor on some of the gm cars. So did you have the code before you changed the fuel pump?

JF781981

No I didnt. Unfortunately it could be days before I can do something on a fuel pressure gage. I dont have one, and the only place that does loan out charges up front for them first so it will be a couple days before I get paid to rent a gage. Also what is that little thing I was describing in the tank? I was bulb shaped

SATURNTECH9

Iam sorry I stuck my foot in my mouth reading the way you jumped from code P0452 to checking the fuel pressure didnt catch what you were meaning and talking about with checking the fuel pressure. DIDnt read the very end where it said I wouldnt waste my time with other tests before making there was the proper fuel pressure. It was kinda all blended together in the begining. Again iam truly sorry for the mix up.I always try to make sure are users get the most actuarte help I can give them.

FLYFISHER65
  • 2000 OLDSMOBILE BRAVADA

I cannot get my 2000 Bravada to start. At first I thought it was the distributor, since after it rains mine can be difficult, and usually requires drying with a low-power heat gun. When this did not work I listened for the fuel pump, which did come on when I put the key in, and both the exhaust and engine (by way of air intake port) smelled like gasoline, leading me to believe it was an electrical, not fuel, problem. I tested the volts at the distributor cap and saw that there was no power reaching it. The rest of the powered things on my car work fine (radio, windows, power seats etc.) So it seemed strange that there was no spark plug power. The starter sounded fine, so I guess something is grounding out somewhere along the way, or I have a bad coil. Any advice on what might cause this?

+1
MARV-ELLIS
  • 18 POSTS

Hard to say what the bulb shaped object is. It is most likeley part of a broken vent or pressure control valve, but the possibilities are endless without seeing the object or knowing the dimensions of it.