1998 Oldsmobile Aurora need help

MATCHONE
  • 1998 OLDSMOBILE AURORA
Engine Cooling problem
1998 Oldsmobile Aurora V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic

yes I just changed my rear brakes. And when I got finished I hoped in my car and went for a drive. I noticed that my car was not producing any heat just cold air, and my car clicker wont work to do anything even pop trunk, and my car is overheating. My car was fine before I did the repair. I checked all fuses and replaced battery in my clicker. My cooling fans are moving but doing no good. Please help fast. Mother has lung, brain, and stomach cancer. This is our primary car for her hospital visits.
Monday, December 21st, 2009 AT 6:13 PM

ERNEST CLARK
Sorry to hear about your mother. My mother is on the loosing end of a battle with cancer.

I too have an Aurora (2001), and I'm intimately familiar with these vehicles.

Unfortunately, it sounds as if you have more than one problem going on here. Your brakes won't have anything to do with your heater blowing cold air, which is actually part of your cooling system. Nor will that have anything to do with your clicker working, or vice versa.

As far as your cooling system, yours is what we call a reverse flow cooing system. I won't bore you with the details, but what's usually happening when your heater stops blowing hot air is there's air getting into your cooling system. Because your system is a reverse flow, the heater core is the highest point in the system and all of the air gets trapped inside. This stops your coolant from flowing effectively. (Which is how you get your heat)

And unfortunately, the usual suspect is a blown head gasket.

The easiest and quickest way to test this is to open the cap on your surge tank. Look inside while you have someone rev the motor to at least 1500 rpm. If you see bubbles, it's a blown head gasket.

If you don't see bubbles, then it's probably in a control circuit, which isn't as expensive, but almost as hard to diagnose.

As far as your clicker, inside the remote is a circuit board. Sometimes the contacts get broken or become corroded. You'll have to take it to a professional to either repair or replace.
Thursday, December 31st, 2009 AT 10:24 PM