What would cause I car overflow to boil over when the car itself is not overheating?

ISAACFEG
  • 2001 OLDSMOBILE AURORA

Hi I have a 2001 Oldmobile Aurora and the overflow tank is boiling over but the engine is not overheating. I changed the thermostat, drained the coolant and refilled and changed out the overflow bottle as well. Now it is just coming out the overflow tube everytime I drive it which still means it is boiling inside the tank but I dont know why. Do you have any ideas for me? What would cause this? FYI the overflow tank is the only cap there isnt a radiator cap just in case that helps with anything.

Monday, November 28th, 2011 AT 8:08 PM

ASEMASTER6371

It is running hot otherwise the coolant will not boil.

You need a leak down test to verify that there is not a head gasket issue. It sounds like either a head gasket or vlogged radiator.

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Monday, November 28th, 2011 AT 8:14 PM
ISAACFEG

Ok I will have to take it in and get it tested then, I doesnt seem to be running hot at all. As far as the tempeture gauge inside the car it never goes over half way and always seems to run where its supposed too.

Monday, November 28th, 2011 AT 8:29 PM
ASEMASTER6371

Get this checked first. This will insure that there is no internal issues

Monday, November 28th, 2011 AT 8:32 PM