2000 Oldsmobile Alero overheating

DAVE6194
  • 2000 OLDSMOBILE ALERO
The engine overheats and I can't understand how its happening.
For a period of about a month I kept losing coolant and couldn't find where. Then it started overheating.
To this point I have replaced the water pump. Thermostat and pressure cap on the reservoir.
The engine temp is fine at idle but there is no heat in the car. The trouble begins when the RPM's are increased. Water is blown out the overflow and the temp rises. Before this happens there also doesn't seem to be any pressure buildup when the cap is removed.
Friday, January 23rd, 2009 AT 7:12 PM

RANDYSUTTER
I have the same exact problem. Same car. 195000 miles. If you find anything out let me know. I'll let you know if I do.
-1
Monday, January 26th, 2009 AT 8:22 PM
RANDYSUTTER
Dave,
I have your solution. My car was doing EXACTLY what yours was.
Pretty sure I solved mine today.
Email me at sutter@irvineonline. Net and I will tell you what I did.
Randy Sutter
-2
Saturday, January 31st, 2009 AT 9:05 PM
KNOWITALLCARGUY
The most common problem with the alero and malibu w/3.4 engine is intake manifold gaskets are leaking. It will also have water in oil that can portray blown head gasket. 95% of the time it is only intake gasket leaking internally. Also look on top of bell housing for antifreeze.
Good luck!
+1
Saturday, February 7th, 2009 AT 7:06 PM
SKEETER
I had same problem; replaced the coolant temp sensor, thermostat, and reservoir cap. Didn't help. Turned out that the plastic reservoir itself was slightly warped/out-of-round where the cap screws in, so that even with cap on tightly it would not hold pressure. To test this, I put the black overflow hose that comes out of the reservoir (near the cap) into a clear plastic water bottle. With engine hot and a little water in the bottle, I could squeeze the radiator hose and see bubbles in the water bottle. No air or coolant is supposed to get through that cap until it's over 15PSI. Got a new reservoir ($35/RockAuto) and now system holds pressure. I'm leaving the plastic bottle in place, the overflow hose sort of holds it in place, doesn't interfere with nearby moving parts, and will show me if there's any more overflow (haven't seen any in 3 days)
+3
Wednesday, July 8th, 2009 AT 9:28 AM
THATOLDSKID90
Is it normal for the temp gage to run a little high on a 3.4
Saturday, May 18th, 2013 AT 5:21 AM
OLDMOBILE12
I had the same issue and it is normal for it to run a lil hot in this car
-1
Friday, July 12th, 2013 AT 8:37 PM