No spark from coil to distributor

OZZIE62G
  • 1976 JEEP CJ7
  • 600 MILES
Hi I'm In the last stage of a 3year restoration of my 1976 Jeep CJ7 frame off. The PO had spent over 9k on power tran, I drove the jeep prior to dismantling it it ran great. I have almost everything back on all newly painted, and just a foot note the ground is correct. I have ground cables from Eng to frame Eng to fenders all sanded down metal to metal. I know how important ground is to a jeep lol.

Now for the problem, I have my new wiring kit installed from Painless my Eng turns over put now Spark from coil to distributor. If you take the coil wire that runs from coil to Dis cap there is sprak from the coil but not going in to the Cap
Tuesday, November 17th, 2015 AT 4:02 PM

WRENCHTECH
That's pretty clear. If you have spark coming out of the coil wire, that only leaves the distributor cap, rotor or wires
+1
Tuesday, November 17th, 2015 AT 4:29 PM
OZZIE62G
Thank you for the response. The cap, rotor and wires and coil & plugs also new. I take the coil to cap wire and there's no spark in to the Dis cap, the only thing I'm thinking is the wire but there brand new?
Tuesday, November 17th, 2015 AT 4:36 PM
WRENCHTECH
I don't get what you are saying. One minute you say you have no spark out of the coil and in another sentence you say you do have spark out of the coil. Which is it?
Tuesday, November 17th, 2015 AT 4:38 PM
THIS PUPPY STILL GOT PRESTOLITE IGNITION?

DOES MR. COIL HAVE AN INTERNAL RESISTOR OR IS IT ONE THAT REQUIRES EXTERNAL RESISTANCE?

WHAT KINDA PLUGS DO YOU HAVE?

HAS THE DISTRIBUTOR BEEN TAKEN OUT? SURE IT'S BACK IN RIGHT?

DO YOU HAVE PART NUMBERS AND WHERE IT CAME FROM?

HOW 'BOUT A DIGITAL VOLTMETER IF WE NEED TO TEST STUFF?

-1
Tuesday, November 17th, 2015 AT 5:49 PM
OZZIE62G
Yes the distributor has been taken out but I put it back top it center in the timing is correct the problem that I'm having is that from the coil wire to the distributor center of the cap There's no spark yes it's the Prestolite system and the spark plugs are Autocraft. It does not have an external resistor. I can tell you this that at one point while I was moving the distributor there was a point where the spark plugs did have spark but I was never able to duplicate it. Cj medavac I actually read your comments of a similar situation you had with the gentleman from South Carolina I believe that he changed his EMC and everything started working for him on his CJ. As far as the distributor it was a rebuilt I believe it was the CarboneA1 and it is the Prestolite distributor. Thank you for responding can use all the help you can give me
Wednesday, November 18th, 2015 AT 3:49 AM
OZZIE62G
Just to clarify the coil dose have spark but it seems that the coil wire that runs to the cap doesn't :/
+2
Wednesday, November 18th, 2015 AT 4:04 AM
WRENCHTECH
Have you tried another coil wire?
+2
Wednesday, November 18th, 2015 AT 5:14 AM
OZZIE62G
Yes, I keep thinking if it is the ECU and if it is I'm thinking it my be more cost effective to switch over to a HEI Distributor?
Wednesday, November 18th, 2015 AT 8:03 AM
WRENCHTECH
I'll explain this again.

If you have spark at the output of the coil, the ignition system is working up to the coil wire and distributor cap. You need to try another coil wire and use a spark tester to actually measure the strength of the spark.
+1
Wednesday, November 18th, 2015 AT 8:36 AM
SORRY I TOOK SO LONG - WORK/ UNCLE DIED/ DAUGHTER'S BIRTHDAY/ ETC. JUST GOT IN. MR. JEEP'S REAR PINION SEAL HAS SPRUNG A LEAK, LOOKS LIKE THEY'D LAST MORE THAN 38 YEARS (AT THIS PACE, I'LL NEVER GET TIME TO REPLACE IT)

PRESTOLITE WAS A VERY CRAPPILY DESIGNED SYSTEM

THE WIRES ENTERING THE DISTRIBUTOR ARE BASICALLY SOLID COPPER TELEPHONE WIRES (LIKE ABOUT THE SIZE OF WHAT PLUGS INTO YOUR HOUSE PHONE'S BODY)

IF THIS IS NOT ANCHORED WELL, IT WILL SHAKE AROUND AND BREAK THE WIRE(S)
I'VE SEEN THIS MANY TIMES, ESPECIALLY W/ 6 CYLINDERS, WIRES SORTA JUST DANGLE, A 304 AIN'T AS BAD, THE WIRES LAY ON THE INTAKE

IF YOU DISCONNECT THE PLUG, YOU CAN RUN A CONTINUITY TEST THRU IT TO SEE IF THE WIRES COMPLETE THE CIRCUIT

I UPGRADED TO A MOTORCRAFT SYSTEM (WHICH WAS STANDARD IN '79 ON UP CJs)

PIC 1) THIS IS MY MOTORCRAFT DISTRIBUTOR, IT HAS 3 STRANDED WIRES INTO THE DISTRIBUTOR. TEST YOUR 2 PINS LIKE I SHOW FOR CONTINUITY (LOST? I CAN EXPLAIN THAT TOO)

PIC 2) YOU CAN HAVE YOUR IGN MODULE TESTED AT A PARTS STORE, THIS HAPPENS TO BE ADVANCE AUTO PARTS' MACHINE. I LAID OUT 2 PIGTAILS FOR THIS PIC, THE ONE NEXT TO THE MACHINE IS TO TEST A MOTORCRAFT MODULE, THE ONE TO THE LEFT IS FOR PRESTOLITE. RUN THE TEST AT LEAST 5 TIME IN A ROW, TO INSURE THE MODULE IS GOOD, DO THE SAME FOR A NEW ONE, SHOULD IT BE NEEDED, BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE STORE.

PIC 3) KEY ON, WHAT DO YOU HAVE AT THE POSITIVE SIDE OF THE COIL?

IF THIS AIN'T CUTTING IT, I'LL RUN YOU THRU INSTALLATION OF THE DISTRIBUTOR AGAIN.

SHOULD YOU WANT TO UPGRADE LATER TO MOTORCRAFT, I CAN TALK YOU THRU IT. AS FAR AS ALL OF THIS "HIGH SPEED" AND "HIGH DOLLAR" IGNITION STUFF, I HAVE NOT SEEN ANY ADVANTAGE OVER STOCK STUFF AND "REGULAR JEEPIN", THAT STUFF MAY DO SOMETHING SPECIAL IF YOU ARE RACING.

Wednesday, November 18th, 2015 AT 7:56 PM
OZZIE62G
Sorry to here about your uncle :(. Thank you for the Info, I haven gotten a chance to do anything to the CJ because of work but you've give me some good ideas thank you, I'll let you know on Sunday (my day off) what I found again thank you all.
Thursday, November 19th, 2015 AT 5:32 AM
SEND MORE ENGINE PICS WITH THE BREATHER OFF AND HOOD AGAINST THE WINDSHIELD FRAME.

THE WHOLE JEEP TOO!

SEE YA SUNDAY!

Thursday, November 19th, 2015 AT 4:16 PM
OZZIE62G
Some snap shots of the past 2 years
Thursday, November 19th, 2015 AT 9:47 PM
THE WIRING KIT YOU GOT, IS IT SPECIFICALLY FOR A '76 OR DOES IT INCLUDE YEARS ABOVE THAT, LIKE A '79?

THE REASON I'M ASKING IS

#1 IF YOU HAD SENT BACK A VALUE ON THE POSITIVE SIDE OF THE COIL, WE MIGHT KNOW IF IT IS A RESISTOR WIRE OR NOT (PREVIOUS PIC I SENT)

IN '79, THEY WENT WITH THE MOTORCRAFT SYSYEM, THE WIRE FROM (BASICALLY THE IGN SWITCH ) IS A RESISTANCE WIRE. '76-'78 JUST HAD A REGULAR WIRE. THE COILS FOR EITHER SYSTEM ARE DIFFERENT. MAYBE YOU HAVE DOUBLE THE RESISTANCE THAN YOU SHOULD HAVE, IF THE "RESISTANCE WIRE" IS IN YOUR NEW HARNESS.

PIC 1) BELOW IS AN EXCERPT FROM A '79

PIC 2) '79 AND UP COIL

PICS 3 AND 4) TRY THIS AS A TEST. POSITIVE BATTERY POST TO POSITIVE COIL. THIS WOULD SORTA BYPASS ANY RESISTANCE.

P.S, GOT MR. REAR PINION SEAL IN ABOUT AN HOUR AGO! I'M GOOD AS NEW AGAIN!

Sunday, November 22nd, 2015 AT 7:53 PM
THE TEXT ON THAT COIL PIC WAS MEANT FOR A '79 ON UP JEEP GUY!

Sunday, November 22nd, 2015 AT 7:55 PM
OZZIE62G
My year is a 1976, and yes the wiring kit is for that year it's the painless 10150. When I order the coil, plug wires, cap and rotor, plug wire were for that year 1976.
Monday, November 23rd, 2015 AT 1:34 AM
OZZIE62G
This exactly what I have
Monday, November 23rd, 2015 AT 1:38 AM
MAYBE A THIS IS A REVIEW BUT THESE ARE GOOD!

CLASS 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a2X9mSSlQY

CLASS 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=FHX1yXVyIMg&feature=endscreen

NOW

IF WE GOT CARRIED AWAY BUMPING THE STARTER - THIS WAY (BELOW) WILL CUT OUT POSSIBLE "GOING TOO FAR WITH THE TIMING MARKS

NOW THAT DAVID AND CHAD TOLD YOU HOW

LET'S DO IT TO SLOW MOTION

HIDE YOUR KEYS/CHOCK YOUR WHEELS/ GO TO NEUTRAL

REMOVE #1 SPARK PLUG

STICK IT BACK IN , MAYBE 2 THREADS (INSTEAD OF USING YOUR THUMB)

ROTATE THE ENGINE WITH A WRENCH OR RATCHET (NOT THE STARTER)

CLOCKWISE AS VIEWED FROM THE GRILL

WHEN YOU HEAR THE "HISS" COMING BY #1 PLUG=-=-=STOP! ( A FRIEND MAY BE HELPFUL TO HEAR THIS AT #1 (AS THE OTHER CYLINDERS HISS INTERNALLY (USUALLY FAINTER) WHEN YOU ROTATE THE ENGINE

NOW, WE ARE ON COMPRESSION STROKE ON #1 CYLINDER (PISTON IS STILL COMING UP)

WE AIN'T UP YET!

EVER SO SLOWLY ROTATE THE ENGINE (CW) TILL YOUR TIMING MARK (LINE) LINES UP WITH ZERO!

STOP!!!

I HAVE FOUND THAT USING THE STARTER FOR THE "BUMPAGE" USUALLY RESULTS IN "OVERRUNNING" THE MARKS, COMPRESSION KICKS IT BACK, ETC.

THEN YOU MISTAKENLY ROTATE ON AROUND 180 DEGREES FROM WHERE YOU SHOULD BE (NOT SAYIN' BAD THINGS, BUT IF YOU ARE NEW TO THIS, IT'S AN EZ MISTAKE!)

OK, BACK TO OUR SLOW-MOTIONAGE!

NOW LOOK AT THE ROTOR BUTTON

IT SHOULD BE FACING THE "MARK" YOU PUT ON THE 'STRIBUTOR

.......OR WHICH EVER TOWER YOU CHOSE TO BE #1 (TEXTBOOK OR NOT)

THE ENGINE/ CAM/ CRANK DON'T CARE WHICH ONE IT IS!

AS LONG AS YOU WERE AT TDC, YOU PLACED #1 SPARK PLUG WIRE ON "THAT TOWER" (THE ONE THAT ROTOR IS POINTING TO)

AND YOUR 1-5-3-6-2-4 FIRING ORDER STARTS THERE- AND RUNS THE SEQUENCE CLOCKWISE (LOOKING DOWN ON THE 'STRIBUTOR CAP)

INSTALLING IT "TEXTBOOK" CUTS DOWN ON CONFUSION LATER ON, AS YOU MAY HAVE FORGOTTEN THE "DEAL"- SIMPLY HOOKING IT ALL UP LIKE IT SHOWS IN THE BOOK WILL MAKE IT EZier IN 8 MONTHS! (BUT YOU GOTTA INSTALL IT TEXTBOOK NOW!)

LETS HEARS SOME INFO!

Monday, November 23rd, 2015 AT 6:43 PM
SOMEHOW I LOST THE 1ST LINES OF THE LAST ANSWER

VOLTAGE AT THE POS SIDE OF THE COIL W/ KEY ON?

CONTINUITY TEST THRU THE DISTRIBUTOR CONNECTOR?

DID YOU TRY A JUMPER FROM POS BATTERY TO POSITIVE COIL?

(THEN THE ANSWER ABOVE WAS SUPPOSED TO START)

Monday, November 23rd, 2015 AT 6:54 PM
OZZIE62G
Hello sir sorry for the delay. I haven't had a chance to work on the cj( work?) I have seen the you tube vid you sent. As far as the TDC I have set it right on how ever I'm off tomorrow and I'll Doublecheck it Again. This is what I'm having problems with if I stick a screwdriver in the center of the coil and ground next to the engine their spark but if I plug in the coil wire that runs to the center of the distributor. I've also bought a new set of plug wires to test as well. But as always I do appreciate very much the support and I will advise you tomorrow with the results happen thank you.
Tuesday, November 24th, 2015 AT 4:03 PM