Gauges, no power locks or windows not working, ABS and airbag light on

JOHNFISHJR@GMAIL.COM
  • 2003 CHEVROLET TAHOE
July 4th went to a friends house and truck would not start. Unknown driver, locks do not work, remotes do not work, windows will not work. Cranks starts and shuts off. A battery disconnect brought everything back to life and off I went. As I was going down the rough driveway dash lights were on and off, the chime would activate ABS and brake light would come on and go off again. Finally all the gauges quit, locks and windows stopped working again, no dome lights, no 4x4 activator, no gear selector, no reverse lights. I do have speedometer, tachometer and the odometer works. I have the airbag, ABS, and battery light on in the dash but the alternator is charging fine. The rear HVAC is not working and the front works but will not kick in the A/C. Sunroof works. Of course I have no radio but I can operate the seats. The display on startup is unknown driver but it starts and drives fine. Auto headlamps turn signals and brake lights all operate.

A mechanic had me do some tests and said it sounds like the PCM fried. Freshly programmed PCM installed and all the same issues but will not run either. The pass-lock reset procedure could not be done because the lock symbol only stayed on for a couple seconds verses the ten minutes it is supposed to stay on. So, old PCM back in, it runs but no A/C with windows that will not work is not good.

With all the computers in the vehicle it acts like BCM is bad but with the no A/C or gauges that sounds like the PCM. So I am at a loss, this all seems to be due to an extremely rough driveway so could something have shaken loose verses a computer problem. Or did something short wiping out a few different computers/modules. All fuses test good. The week before I had suspension work done which required a lot of air hammering on the torsion rods, lots of vibrations.
Friday, July 13th, 2018 AT 7:56 PM

ASEMASTER6371
Good morning.

Definitely not the PCM. All the controls you are having issues with are related to the BCM.

Check all the connections on the BCM and see if there are any loose, damaged or burned pins. If that is all okay, then you will need an advanced scan tool to access the BCM and see if there are any fault codes as well as monitoring live data.

It does sound like a failing BCM but need to be confirmed here is video that can show you how

but to be sure lets do a CAN scan which is the future of automotive repair you can get a CAN scanner from Amazon for about $50.00 here is a video to show you how.

https://youtu.be/u-4syLc-ifQ

Saturday, July 14th, 2018 AT 8:03 AM
JOHNFISHJR@GMAIL.COM
Thanks Roy, my gut was with BCM but I let an expert talk me into PCM.

My vehicle shows a short somewhere. You know the old trick, disconnect the negative terminal from the battery and put a test light in there. Could this be the problem? I have pulled every fuse looking for this short without any luck. I have been pulling connectors apart hoping to find something but so far no luck.

BCM connectors all look clean and shiny. Still had the short with all the connectors off the BCM.

I have a BlueDriver code reader but it will not connect with the car. Seems there is no engine running signal at the port. It connects fine with my 2003 Silverado. Can the BCM interrupt the engine running signal to the test port?
Saturday, July 14th, 2018 AT 8:40 AM
ASEMASTER6371
That test is for a drain, not a short. If you are looking for a drain you measure amp draw, not voltage.

Check you fuses. Pin 16 of the DLC is for power to the scan tool. That circuit is fd from a fuse for the auxiliary power outlets.

You need a real scan tool to monitor the BCM information.

-2
Saturday, July 14th, 2018 AT 1:09 PM
JOHNFISHJR@GMAIL.COM
I will have to test for power at pin 16, are you talking GM Tech II tool to monitor the BCM?
-1
Saturday, July 14th, 2018 AT 3:30 PM
ASEMASTER6371
Yes, that will work as well as a Snap On scan tool as well.

+1
Saturday, July 14th, 2018 AT 3:45 PM
CROACHZ28
John, I am having the same problem with my 2004 Tahoe. What did your problem turn out to be. Mine will start and shuts right back off. Security light is not on. I don't know what to do for both problems. Any help would be appreciated.
Wednesday, February 13th, 2019 AT 5:16 AM
ASEMASTER6371
You are more than welcomed to start a new question with your concern and we would help you as well.

+1
Wednesday, February 13th, 2019 AT 5:17 AM
CROACHZ28
Thank you.
Wednesday, February 13th, 2019 AT 5:18 AM
ASEMASTER6371
You are welcome.

We are always glad to help.

Wednesday, February 13th, 2019 AT 5:20 AM
GREG_OJEDA1121
Were you able to find out the problem? I have the exact same problem on my 2004 Tahoe and I ve tried everything and nothing seems to work.
-1
Monday, April 22nd, 2019 AT 8:50 PM
ASEMASTER6371
We just had another question on a similar car it was the BCM here are the replacement instructions in the diagrams below.
-1
Monday, April 22nd, 2019 AT 9:10 PM
BWHITE
  • 2002 CHEVROLET TAHOE
My power windows for the passenger side have stopped working. They do not function from the drivers or the passenger doors, the master switch is not locked.
Monday, September 23rd, 2019 AT 4:00 PM (Merged)
Welcome to the forum, I'd check the voltage circuits at the passenger side switch. Dark green wire is voltage to the switch. Black is ground. If that checks out, check the actual voltage and ground to the motor. The wire colors are brown and dark blue, because the motor is reversing depending on up or down, the wire colors switch between voltage and ground.
DILLY55
  • 2001 CHEVROLET TAHOE
I have 01 chev taho drivers side window don't work replace switch did not work
MHPAUTOS
You will have to remove the door trim ands check that power is reaching the window motor, if so, the motor will be the problem.

Sponsored links