The engine oil life reminder light is designed to keep up on the maintenance
of your vehicle. After an
engine oil and filter
change the light must be reset, we have gathered many popular procedures for turning off the service light for most
vehicles which are listed below.
What Goes Wrong?
Some people forget to reset the oil life reminder after an oil change which results in an inaccurate oil life indicator for the next oil change. Resetting the oil life is free and easy to do.
- Turn the ignition switch to on (engine off)
- Press the accelerator pedal rapidly to the floor five times.
- Turn the ignition switch to the off position
- Repeat the procedure a little slower if needed
- Turn on ignition.
- Push Menu button on the turn signal switch.
- Use the adjustment wheel and select the menu – Vehicle Information
- Use the adjustment wheel and select the menu – Oil Life System
- Push SET/CLR button on the turn signal switch and push brake pedal at the
- Turn the ignition switch to (engine off)
- Press the accelerator pedal slowly to the floor three times
- Turn the ignition switch to the off position.
- Repeat the procedure if needed
Ford Vehicles 2003 and Newer
- Press the Trip/Reset button and cycle to the Set-up Menu
- Select Reset
- Press and hold Trip/Reset button for approx two seconds and release the
button when the Reset System message appears.
- Within two seconds, repress the button for approx two more seconds
until “Oil 100% Reset if New” message is displayed and release the button
- Press the button once more to display “Hold Reset If
New Oil” message is seen and release the button.
- Press the button once more press and hold it for approx two seconds
- Once the “Oil Life Set To 100%” is displayed, release the button and you
- Turn the ignition key to the on position. Do not start the engine. For
vehicles with push-button start, press and hold the start button for two
seconds without pressing the brake pedal. DO NOT attempt to start the
- Press both the accelerator and brake pedals at the same time.
- Keep both pedals fully pressed.
- After three seconds, the Service: Oil reset in progress. message will be
- After 25 seconds, the Service: Oil reset complete message will be
- Release both the accelerator and brake pedals.
- The Service: Oil reset complete message will no longer be
- Rotate the key to the off position.
NOTE: For vehicles with push-start button start, press the start button to turn
the vehicle off completely.
- Press and release the SETUP button until the message center displays OIL
LIFE XXX% HOLD RESET = NEW OIL.
- Press and hold the RESET button for 2 seconds and release when the
message center displays OIL LIFE SET TO XXX%.
- Press and release the SETUP button to exit the procedure.
- Turn ignition to the run position (engine off)
- Press the Select button until the oil life message is displayed.
- Press Reset and hold for approx 10 seconds until the message maintenance
- Press select and you will be prompted to select Y or N to complete the
- Select Y to reset the oil life indicator.
- Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (Do not start the engine).
- Fully depress the accelerator pedal, slowly, three times within 10
- Turn the ignition switch to the OFF/LOCK position.
Lexus vehicles (pre 2008)
- The key should be in the off position.
- Press the trip reset button and while holding, turn the key to the run
position (engine off)
- Continue holding the button until the odometer indicates 0
- Release the button to complete the procedure.
- Turn the ignition key to the accessory position.
- Press the info button in the display until oil change information is
- Press and hold the information button until the word clear appears.
- Release and press the info button again to complete the reset process
- Push the maintenance button on the main menu.
- Select engine oil and press enter
- From the maintenance schedule, move the joystick right or
left to select mileage interval.
- Select “Reset” and push enter.
- To complete the process, press and hold the maintenance button for 3 to
- With the key in the off position, press and hold the trip/reset button.
- While holding the button down, turn the ignition key to “ON” position
(engine off) and hold down the knob for approx five to 10 seconds.
- While holding the reset, the odometer meter will either show zeros or
will show indicator lines which will flash. When they stop, it is finished.
- The system is now reset. Release the reset button and turn off the key.
- Turn the ignition key to position one.
- Select trip odometer 1. (note it must have a mileage reading and can not
- Press the reset button for approx 5 seconds or until the odometer shows
- While continuing to hold the trip button, turn the key to the off
- When the odometer returns to its original mileage, release the button.
Watch the Oil Life Reset Videos!
Ford Explorer 2011-Present
Honda Civic 2006-2011
Saturn Vue 2002-2007
Toyota Camry 2007-2011
Our team of certified mechanics is ready to answer your questions for free.
Article published 2020-09-11