2000 Nissan Sentra CAR WILL NOT START

MARECANIS
  • 2000 NISSAN SENTRA
Car ran just fine on the way to work. After 8 hours, I tried to start car to return home. The starter never engaged and there was no clicking noise. The battery is fine (headlights, radio, windows, fan, etc.) All operate. When I try to start the car I hear a faint buzz sound and then nothing. This happened a week ago and when I tried the car 3 days later it started and ran just fine. Could it be a faulty starter or ignition coil or is it the computer.
Friday, June 13th, 2008 AT 1:01 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi marecanis,

It should not be the ECM when the starter don't crank.

No clicking noise means power is not getting to the starter solenoid so it probably is the ignition switch or starter relay.

Where did the buzz noise come from? If from the rear, it could be the fuel pump working.
Saturday, June 14th, 2008 AT 1:58 PM
MARECANIS
Thanks KHLow2008,

The buzz noise is from the front and rear. Could it be the computer? The my wife said this happened over a year ago and Nissan told her it was something with the computer.

Or could there be a dead cell in the battery?

Thanks.
Saturday, June 21st, 2008 AT 1:10 AM
KHLOW2008
Hi marecanis,

The computer would not give any buzzing noise, maybe some relays.

There are many possibilites why the starter did not crank.

If there is a clicking noise, then either starter or battery.

If there is no clicking noise, you need to check for power input to ignition switch and output to starter relay.

If your car is equipped with immobilizer, you need to check the key. Try using the spare key.

Are the gear shift position indicator lights working? It could also be the inhibitor switch.
Saturday, June 21st, 2008 AT 5:32 AM