CAR WONT START

Nissan Altima

chops172

October, 12, 2007 AT 1:20 PM

I have a 1995 nissan altima with 199649 miles on it with about 95000 on the motor. Car had been running fine and I went to go to the store after getting home about 45 mins earlier and now it just cranks and will not start. Checked all plugs all have spark, checked fuel filter getting plenty of fuel through there, check for vaccum leaks none, checked all electrical connections under the hood all thight and dry. It has been getting cold and rainy the past few days so I put some dry gas in the tank and let it set for 15 mins and tried to start again and still just cranks. So I know it is getting fuel and spark but will not start. Any help would be greatly appreciated since I do not know where to go from here I am left scratching my head.

fisherman

October, 12, 2007 AT 1:31 PM

Hello !

Well do you have spark. OK
Fuel? Check for correct pressure on the pump.

Around 50 - 60 PSI should do it, if the pressure its not enough the injectors didn t work properly.
Also check if the injectors are " clicking".
Try to put some gas on the intake and see if works.
That way we are going to know if its gas issue.

Let us know and good luck!

chops172

October, 12, 2007 AT 6:53 PM

Ok so I bought a fuel pressue test kit and tested the fuel pressure. It should be around 43 for my car and when I tested it, it only showed it was getting 23. So I went and replaced the fuel filter and pump and retested now it has 43 like it is supposed to. Still not working so I checked to see if the injectors are clicking, and they are so I tried again and it still just continues to crank.

fisherman

October, 12, 2007 AT 11:25 PM

Hello !
Ok, did you tried to " feed" some gas on the intake?

Well, next step its to check the correct " ignition timing" the spark plugs are " firing" but, are they doing it at the correct " time" ?

The " timing" belt can be " jumped" one teeth.

Did you " check" the plugs one by one or just the wires for spark?

How do you feel the engine?
Its strong? I mean. You can " feel" the compresion right?
Or " weak" also, you said that the weather its Humid. Check the distributor cap for moisture or cracks.

And check also the rotor.

You Know. Its harder to diagnose a problem without having the vehicle in front. But we are doing our best!

Let us know!

chops172

October, 13, 2007 AT 3:34 PM

The compression is at 125 across all cylinders, check all spark plugs for spark all are sparking fine (did replace and gapped all correctly as well) checked for cracks or leaks on the distributor cap took off and looked good no cracks leaks etc. How do I check the timing on this car though, and I do have a timing light also. If you could tell me it would help alot, thanks

fisherman

October, 13, 2007 AT 11:32 PM

Well.
Clip on plug wire No. 1 chalk mark on " 18/22" tach. 650/750 RPM

The ignition time should be : 18-22 @ 650 / 750 RPM

firing order : 1342 distributor turns: counterclockwise

chops172

October, 14, 2007 AT 1:39 PM

Not exactly sure what you mean, I know you hook it up to the #1 spark plug wire, hook it to the power and make sure it is grounded but I am lost from there, and I don't know what you mean with the chalk and " 18/22" sorry but could you be extremely specific? I have never timed a car before my friend usually does that and I do everything else. Well I can get the car to start now still trouble getting it started though has to crank quite a while but if I hit the throttle its boggs down and dies and when it does it makes a sound like it is backfiring a loud " pop" sound everytime from my WAI and then white smoke comes out my intake. Just started to do this also. I dont believe that it can be good though

chops172

October, 15, 2007 AT 3:13 PM

Problem fixed thanks.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Pressure Test