1996 MERCEDES BENZ C280 CAR CRANKS BUT WILL NOT START...

• PumpkinC280
  • 1996 Mercedes Benz C280

1996 Mercedes Benz C280 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 147, 00 miles

Car cranks but will not start. Was harder to start the last week before issue, but always still started on first try. Replaced air filter which did not help. Oil looks good. Tried both keys, no difference.

Over the past week have try to start (3) different times to start car and crank (3) times. Almost caught (2). Normally do not need to apply gas start, but have recently following the operating manual with no effect.

Performed OBD II using diagnostic scan tool and came back with no scan codes error everything working. Attempted to jump start battery and still will not start. Just stop working, really no warning and did not experience any fuel issues when driving.

Sitting in driveway would like to fix myself.

Saturday, August 22nd, 2009 AT 7:45 PM

• rasmataz

Hi there and thanks for the donation help keeps the site going

If the engine compression are within specs. I will start looking for fuel and spark related problems. Do below and comeback with some results

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors- Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it

Saturday, August 22nd, 2009 AT 8:46 PM
  • PumpkinC280

How do a spark plugs for spark. This is my first Mb and these are not typical spark pligs

Sunday, August 23rd, 2009 AT 12:41 PM
  • rasmataz

Is this diesel or gas engine?

Sunday, August 23rd, 2009 AT 12:50 PM