2000 MERCEDES BENZ 320E SLIPPING OUT OF GEAR

• rnance
  • 2000 Mercedes Benz 320e

2000 Mercedes Benz 320e 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 147130 miles

My wife has been complaining about her Mercedes sometimes shifting hard, and when you slow down or come to a complete stop, it takes a few seconds to catch up to your actual acceleration, it sometimes will not shift from 1st to 2nd gear. Today I drove the car at a speed of 10 to 15/mph, the transmission jerked (like when your u-joints are going out) and when I slowed down to pull into my driveway the car would bearly move. I stopped the car and put it in park and back into drive, but it accelerated slowly (the engine's RPMs were high but it did not accelerate). I then turned the car off and back on and I seemed to reset the transmission or something. My wife says that when this happens she always has to turn it off and back on. I wanted to check with anyone before sending it to the dealership.

Tuesday, June 29th, 2010 AT 8:55 PM

• Jack42

Since shutting it down resets it, this could be a solenoid problem in the trans. A scan of the PCM will tell what the computer sees going wrong in the trans.I dont think it is a mechanical issue since it resets with key off-on, but acompouter scan should show if any solenoids are acting up or if the computer itself is the problem

Thursday, July 1st, 2010 AT 8:21 AM