2001 Mazda Protege Timing Belt

FRED_MACKY
  • 2001 MAZDA PROTEGE
I am trying to find a reasonable cost for replacing the timing belt on this car. The price ranges that I have been given are very wide. Could you please tell me what the cost of the timing belt is and the number of labor hours required to change the timing belt?
Wednesday, February 11th, 2009 AT 1:54 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi Fred,

Thank you for the donation.

For 1.6 L and 2.0 L the prices are different. What is your engine capacity?

Labor time is from 2.4 hours to slightly over 3 hours depending on model and if oil seals were to be replaced.

Prices quoted are as OEM listed and might not be accurated depending on location. You have to check out locally.

Timing belt = $ 50.13 - $ 56.21
Tensioner = $ 83.61 - $ 164.23
Wednesday, February 11th, 2009 AT 3:39 PM
FRED_MACKY
Hi
Thanks for your reply. My car has a 2.0L engine. I am assuming that a tensioner is needed only if I was changing the timing belt myself. If a mechanic is performing the replacement does he still need to get a new tensioner?
Also is it recommended to change the water pump at the same time when the belts are changed?

Thanks again
Wednesday, February 11th, 2009 AT 6:48 PM
KHLOW2008
The tensioner is recommended to be replaced as an assy with the timing belt no matter who is doing the job.

I would recommend the water pump replacement as well. Replacement involves removal of timing belts and I have seen many cases of water pump replacement required within a few thousand miles after timing belt was replaced.

For the 2.0L, the tensioner is more expensive at $164.23.
The belt is cheaper though.
Thursday, February 12th, 2009 AT 6:05 PM