Transmission is Grinding when clutch is pressed

SJSMITH801
  • 1991 MAZDA PROTEGE
Transmission problem 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 170000 miles

My transmission has started to make a grinding, metal-on-metal sounding noise whenever I push in the clutch pedal. The RPMs also drop, sometimes stalling the engine. This happens only when the clutch pedal is pressed in, whether in gear or not. When I release the clutch pedal, the noise stops completely. I first suspected the clutch release bearing, and I replaced it as well as the pilot bearing, but it did not change the problem in any way.

My vehicle is a 1991 Mazda Protege LX. It has the 1.8 L DOHC and 5-speed manual transmission.
Thursday, June 24th, 2010 AT 7:29 PM

If this noise is mostly at the front of the tranny close to the engine best check the pressure plate or clutch cover-you still have to go back in and investigate-also inspect the pilot bushing/bearing again
Friday, June 25th, 2010 AT 4:34 AM
SJSMITH801
Well, I've got the tranny removed again and I've inspected the clutch and the bearings. Everything seems to be fine, including the pressure plate, flywheel, etc. That's why this problem stumps me.
Friday, June 25th, 2010 AT 12:01 PM
JIMMY TARDIF
Transmission bearing probably. If it stops grinding when you press on the clutch its the transmission bearing but if it grinds when you press on the clutch well its the pilot bearing.
Monday, May 1st, 2017 AT 6:17 PM
KEN
Great addition to this thread! Please feel free to help out on the site whenever it can add information that will help.

Cheers, Ken
Thursday, May 4th, 2017 AT 10:13 AM