AIR IN THE FUEL

1998 Mazda MPV

jadice0430

November, 9, 2010 AT 8:06 PM

1998 Mazda MPV 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 130000 miles

My mechanic says there is air in the fuel mixture which has caused the engine to not start. He knows this because he put a tester of some sort on the fuel line. We've replaced the fuel pump and filter, the distributor and spark plugs/cables. He replaced the fuel pump again and it started and ran briefly. He tried to start it again and it ran " like a tractor". It would not start a third time. He is at a loss as to what to try next. I've tried to figure it out, but haven't gotten very far. Fuel lines? Something else? Thanks!

Service Writer

November, 10, 2010 AT 5:29 AM

If he is saying the gas is bad then the tank needs to be emptied, cleaned and the lines flushed. If this was not done, then that needs to be and the filter again replaced as it would be contaminated.

Has hes tested for loss of spark?
A compression test?
Timing checked?
Fuel pressure checked?
Did he check for injector pulse?
What codes are in the computer?

Find out what has or has not been done and post back. Hopefully the part replacing hasn't thrown a new snag into the situation.

Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Filters Replacement 2015 RAM 2500 6.7L
Fuel Filter Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Fuel Filter Mount Replacement Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Filter Replacment BMW 525i