2002 MAZDA MILLENIA CAR WILL NOT START, I KNOW I KNOW, BUT

• erogel334
  • 2002 Mazda Millenia

2002 Mazda Millenia 6 cyl Automatic

Long story short. We have spark up until the coil, trust me I felt it. However the spark plugs are not receiving spark. The wires are fine, the spark plugs, rotor, and distributor cap are brand new. My mechanic and I are lost as to what do next.

The car's timing was just fixed as it was off. The crank sensor is fine since we're receiving spark up until the coil.

I would appreciate any advice or help.

Thanks for reading.

Saturday, October 23rd, 2010 AT 9:50 PM

• erogel334

Its definitely not a fuel problem. We here the feul pump go off, we smell it, we definitely have compression, we tested for it. The ignition system is fine since it cranks, for some reason however there is no spark at the spark plugs, but there's spark at the coils. The distributor cap, rotor, and spark plugs are new, the spark plug wires are fine. We are stumped as to what to do next.

-1
Monday, October 25th, 2010 AT 9:33 PM
  • rasmataz

Inspect and test the crankshaft position sensor on front of engine

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_cps_53.jpg

+1
Monday, October 25th, 2010 AT 9:58 PM
  • erogel334

I dont mean to be difficult, I appreciate your help. However. If the problem were the crankshaft position sensor. Would we still receive spark at the coil?

Monday, October 25th, 2010 AT 11:01 PM
  • rasmataz

For some reason however there is no spark at the spark plugs, but there's spark at the coils. This one is kind of hard to understand either you have it or don't-check and test both the Cam and Crank sensors-

Inspect for shavings on the sensors

Check the CPS resistances should read 950-1250 ohms, also the wiring for shorts and open

Camshaft Position Sensor (Millenia 2.3L)
Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor is located on right front of engine. Disconnect CMP sensor harness connector. Check for continuity between CMP sensor connector terminals "B" (Red/Black wire) and "C" (Yellow/Black wire). If continuity is present, replace CMP sensor. If continuity is not present, check for short or open circuit between following:
CMP sensor 4-pin harness connector terminal "B" and main relay 4-pin harness connector terminal "D" (Red/Black wire).
CMP sensor 4-pin harness connector terminal "C" and PCM 34-pin harness connector terminal "4F" (Yellow/Black wire).
CMP sensor 4-pin harness connector terminal "A" and PCM 34-pin harness connector terminal "4D" (Black/Blue wire).
Repair open or short circuit in wiring harness as necessary.

Tuesday, October 26th, 2010 AT 12:53 AM