CLUTCH

1997 Mazda 626

LMRSMITH

October, 13, 2008 AT 4:49 PM

1997 Mazda 626 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 220000 miles

This morning my car would not go into gear. I have been having problems with first and second off and on for about 3 weeks. This morning it would not go into reverse. I can not get it into gear with or with the clutch depressed. I assume that means it is not the clutch.
It scratched when attempting to go into reverse.

I have had either the slave master cyclinder replaced or the master cyclinder I am not sure witch one about a year and a half ago.

mhpautos

October, 13, 2008 AT 5:30 PM

Hi there,

I would be checking the clutch fluid and if low you will need to inspect for a leak, a worn out clutch will normally not just drop out like this, I would be thinking a hydraulic problem first.

LMRSMITH

October, 14, 2008 AT 9:56 AM

All the fluids are fine, I have noticed that I can get the car in gear when not started and move the car just can not change gear after that.

Example I can put it in reverse then start the car and back it up, then would have to cut it off to put in first gear and then able to go forward but can not go to second gear after that while started.

What is you professional option on this, could it be the slave master cyclinder ot ther clutch slave master cyclinder.

mhpautos

October, 14, 2008 AT 5:00 PM

Hi there,

try bleeding the system first, there may be some air in the system, if it bleeds and is OK, I would be checking the hydraulics carefully, if there is no improvement, and you have good pedal pressure and no excessive free play, just check the box oil level first and if OK, you may have to pull the box out and check further, maybe at that point get a mechanic to feel and test as don't have that advantage on line.

LMRSMITH

October, 17, 2008 AT 11:38 AM

I would like to thank you very much for your advice, I finally got someone to help me and it turned out after pumping the clutch the car went into gear without a problem. A coworker is gonna help me bleed the clutch so that I have no more problems.

mhpautos

October, 17, 2008 AT 9:25 PM

Hi there,

that's great, but just be aware that if you have to bleed the system of air to get it working, you will have a problem seal somewhere so it would still be a good idea to have the system checked as well.

Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement
Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions