AIR CONDITIONING WON'T RECHARGE

1989 Lincoln Town Car

whistleradio

July, 5, 2010 AT 5:57 PM

Air Conditioning problem
1989 Lincoln Town Car V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 182000 miles

I tried to recharge my air conditioner and the pressure gauge showed red and would not recharge. There is no blockage in the lines and I replaced the compressor, but still shows " red". When first replaced, the compressor, of course, with no pressure, didn't come on, but as I tried to add more refrigerant, it started to come on and off, like it was low, but I can't add any, because the pressure gauge shows " red".
This is for my 1989 Lincoln Town Car Stretch Limo, and the a/c worked fine last summer. The only other on-going a/c problem that I have had since I bought this car two years ago it that when you acceleration the air stops blowing and it feels like the heat comes on and then when you get up to speed it starts blowing again.(I'm sure this is a different problem, since the a/c worked well even when this was happening) Thanks.

merlin2021

July, 6, 2010 AT 10:16 AM

Sounds like a blockage, you need to disconnect all fittings and blow through the parts, one will not allow air flow, usually it's the receiver drier.

Air Conditioner Recharge - Simple
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Cabin Air Filter Replacement