Liftgate

HOTRODGTO
  • 2007 GMC YUKON
  • RWD
The electric lift-gate stopped working. I took it to a shop where they replaced the motor assembly, the rear ECU (electronic control unit), the electric latch (which was working when I took it to them as I was able to open it manually), and then the BCU (body control unit). All of this cost me about $2000.00. When they finished it the lift-gate only opened 2/3 of the way and when it was asked to close, it would begin closing and then stop and reverse itself. That was last week. Now, it is back to a manual open and close only. Note there is no binding of the gate. It opens and closes freely albeit manually. Worse yet, I was out-of-town at the time and four and half hours from home. And yes, the dealer programmed the new BCU. Any idea?
Saturday, April 16th, 2016 AT 1:38 PM

They probably did not calibrate the lift-gate, there is a tsb on this, its number is 06008a if it was done at a dealer I would take it back and have them fix it or call GMC they will see that is gets fixed. There is an updated version for calibration as well.
Saturday, April 16th, 2016 AT 3:43 PM
HOTRODGTO
Okay. That was never mentioned and it sounds like the correct answer and I am not doubting you. First, it was all done at a privately owned repair shop, not the dealer. The only thing the dealer did was program the new BCU. Second, it was working somewhat as I mentioned, but also, as I said, it stopped working altogether. The only thing that works is the lock mechanism. So now I am wondering why that might be. I know I must go back to the shop and see if they can get it working at all and then see if they can figure out how to calibrate it as per your suggested tech bulletin. I will converse this information to them. Thanks much.
Saturday, April 16th, 2016 AT 3:50 PM
HOTRODGTO
To HMAC300
One last question. Along with your original answer to my concern you mentioned a TSB and included an image that talks about testing the components for power. My question now is, is that image you included the TSB or is it in addition to the TSB? I want to be sure before I discuss this with my mechanic.
Thanks much for your reply and invaluable info.
Gary T
Sunday, April 17th, 2016 AT 7:50 AM
The picture is a posting of a tip other mechanics have run into so it's in addition to the tsb. The local mechanic may not be able to do either of these so you'll have to talk it over this may have to be done at a dealer.
+1
Sunday, April 17th, 2016 AT 8:36 AM