Won't start when hot

SUNSHINE52377
  • 2004 JEEP LIBERTY
Engine Mechanical problem 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 85000 miles

I drive about 40 miles to pick up my son from school, if I cut the car off on a really hot day and come out to start it, it will not start for about 30 minutes. We drove to the beach and back with no problem. Have replaced battery, starter, alterantor. What could it be?
Monday, June 21st, 2010 AT 3:53 PM

Hi Sunshine52377. Welcome. To relate it to high temperature and sitting with a hot engine for a short time suggests the engine cranks but doesn't start up and run. A heat-sensitive, (failing), crankshaft position sensor is a common suspect but they will usually cause a diagnostic fault code to be memorized in the Engine Computer which will turn on the Check Engine light. If no code is present I would replace the engine coolant temperature sensor. because it can cause these problems as well.

Here is a guide.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/coolant-temperature-sensor-cts-replacement

Here is the location on your car I gave both engines

Check out the diagrams (Below)

Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see what it is.

Cheers, Caradiodoc
Monday, June 21st, 2010 AT 4:43 PM
SUNSHINE52377
I just want to thanks you my mechanic could not find out the reason, then I replaced the coolant sensor and have not had the problem since. I love this site!
Friday, June 25th, 2010 AT 4:03 PM