1985 Jeep CJ7 rear main oil seal

• 1 POST
  • 1985 JEEP CJ7

1985 Jeep CJ7 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 90,000 miles

My 1985 cj7 mileage 90,000
has a rear main oil seal leak that is getting worse, how involved is the repair and do you have a rough idea how much I should expect to pay to have it fixed?

Friday, April 25th, 2008 AT 5:21 PM

• 351 POSTS

The rear main seal is a one piece seal on the back of the crankshaft, behind the flywheel. You have to take the transmission out to do this and you might have to drop the oil pan too; however, you should be able to take off and put the seal on without too much trouble. It can take an afternoon or 2 days depending on help and tools. You need extensions and universal joints to get the bell housing bolts off. You need at least a half ton jack and a half inch breaker bar to get the bolts off the flywheel. You need to disengage the slave cylinder to the clutch and then buy a mouting tool to align the spline and the clutch correctly when putting the transmission on. Check the freeze plug on the camshaft and any on the oil gallery as they can leak and make the vehicle appear to have a rear main seal leak. The seal is a 25 dollar item. Now if you want somebody else to do it for you then you need to realize they may charge you 20+ hours in shop time which can make this repair from $400-900. One thing about the seal, don't force it in place or you will damage it then well all your hard work will be for nothing. Take your time putting it in. Find a chilton manual if you can at your parts store it has a good walkthough.

Friday, May 9th, 2008 AT 2:08 AM