DOME LIGHT STAYS ON

• mickey the dog
  • 2004 Jeep Cherokee

2004 Jeep Cherokee 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 69000 miles

I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee that is a Rocky Mountain Edition. My interior lights come on when I open the doors which is normal, but they do not go off. I have to switch them to off on the steering column or it would drain my battery overnight. I briefly experienced this a couple of times a few weeks ago, but now it seems to be permanent.
I do not know if this is a correlation, but the driver side power window and lock control stopped working at the same time the lights problem started. The power windows do not work on any door. The power locks work on the passenger side door.
When I insert my key into the ignition there is a ding (much like when the key is in the ignition and the door is open) that is dinging even with the door closed. The dinging only happens when the key is in the off position. All of the doors are closed as is the rear hatch.

A lot of information, but I wanted to be as thorough as possible. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Tuesday, March 11th, 2008 AT 7:02 PM

• BMRFIXIT

I have seen it where the power door actuator
drain the battery they stick
you need to have the BCM scanned and data tested

-2
Tuesday, March 11th, 2008 AT 8:12 PM
  • mykel3227

I am having the exact same problem on my wifes 04 grand cherokee. Started last night, we have checked everything over. Let me know if you find the answere because I need to get this fixed asap. Gotta go out of town here soon. Thanks.

Mike

Wednesday, March 12th, 2008 AT 8:48 AM
  • luv2jazzercise

Please tell me what you found out! I'd love to know.
Mine is doing the same thing and has been for several weeks. One small break for about a week, but now, the same thing.
SO IRRITATING!

Wednesday, May 21st, 2008 AT 6:54 PM
  • kstratton

Seems to be common on the 2004 Cherokee. The black wire (ground) from the drivers door is broken inside the rubber boot between the door and the frame.

+3
Monday, June 30th, 2008 AT 9:07 PM
  • Silver04Jeep

Can anyone tell me what to tell the dealership about where I think they should look first? I am having the same problem with the interior lights staying on, the doors not working and the windows not opening, Ironically, the sunroom works though. So strange.

Tuesday, February 1st, 2011 AT 11:49 PM
  • Surd

There is a broken wire in the wire bundle that goes from the driver's door to the fuse area. Pull the rubber housing away from the door using pliers or screw driver. Others found a black wire broken. I had an orange/white wire broken. Bought a male and a female wire clip at hardware store (14 guage I think) and attached each to one end of the break. Then pushed the two ends together and everythin worked

+4
Monday, February 7th, 2011 AT 10:32 PM
  • Silver04Jeep

This website is so great! Yes, the broken wire did the trick, unfortunately I had to pay for this repair $205 at the dealership.
At least I knew what to expect. THANK YOU FOR YOUR POSTS!

Tuesday, February 8th, 2011 AT 1:52 PM