1998 Jeep Cherokee WATER IN FRONT PASSENGER FLOOR

MAUICRAIG
  • 1998 JEEP CHEROKEE
I am getting water on the front passenger floor and it is heavy most of the time. What could be leaking? I can not see anything?
Wednesday, March 31st, 2010 AT 8:31 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6
You certain it isn't coolant? It's possible that the heater core has an internal leak and is leaking into the floorboard. Other signs of a faulty heater core include slight overheating of engine, coolant loss in radiator and light foggy film on inside of windshield when heater is on. If it is just water than you will want to inspect the door and window rubber seals.
-1
Wednesday, March 31st, 2010 AT 8:33 PM
See my profile, Have you been using your A/C or Defrost alot?

If you have, condensate forms on your evaporator (sorta a radiator looking A/C thingee in your heater box!)

Eventually, it forms bigger water drops, and falls into the bottom of your heater box.

The water can only escape one way. The CONDENSATE DRAIN!

IT MAY BE STOPPED UP!

Since I do not know the technicals of your rig, I can tell you sorta where to look.

Look on your firewall, maybe low, get an idea of where the bottom of the heater box is. Look at same height on the firewall. Probably Center or towards the passenger side.

I didn't say this would be real EZ!

Maybe look for some/ or not, dampness around a rubber apperattus (sp) or rubber tube. When you locate it, do one of the following:

Poke something in it, make water flow out. Sometimes a bad Idea.

"Why", you say, in an indignant manner.

"Been there done that", Turddog says, wagging his tail, and continues, without using quotations!

If you poke it, You shove the blockage back in, you'll be doing this over and over.

Found 2 ways to do this well, Using a rubber hose and/ or 1/4---3/8 copper tubing.

Dependent upon the accessibilty to the drain in a tight spot, you might have to bend the tubing and do some "Fishing" to get it into the condensate drain tube.

Once this task is achieved, Rig the tubing and or combo with rubber hose, into the hose of your "Shop-Vac". Using Duct Tape or Other, seal it all together.

You already know what to do next. DO IT!

Keep in mind, we are not performing heater box orthoscopic surgery, do not shove it past the firewall, you may tear or diconnect the drain, Me can't helpy you then!

Sometimes there is alot of water!

Please let me know if my method worked for you (OR NOT), and did I explain it well enough?

Love, Turddog
Wednesday, March 31st, 2010 AT 10:30 PM
12PAUL12
The problem is the condensate drain tube on the firewall is not long enough and the water makes it back into the jeep. I fixed mine by adding a rubber tube and a hose clamp to extend it down further. So now it doesn't drain back into my jeep it drains to the ground outside.
Thursday, April 22nd, 2010 AT 4:28 PM