2001 Jeep Cherokee Car stalls when driving and has trouble

AWHITTY
  • 2001 JEEP CHEROKEE
My 01 Jeep Cheerokee just recently started having "lulls" in the acceleration. After that started, the car would occasionally not start, but just turn over. When I tried enough times it would start like normal. After that the "lulls" in acceleration would lead to the car just completely stalling when driving. It would usually restart right away, but sometimes will turn over like the starting problem. Only twice out of maybe the 20 times it has stalled when driving has the entire electrical system shut down. The stalling seems to happen more often when I'm driving up hill (I live in the mountains) or accelerating a lot.
Monday, November 10th, 2008 AT 3:14 PM

LEGITIMATE007
Normally I would just say check the basics, such as ignition and fuel, but first Iwould like you to take a look at the mapp sensor, this sensor measures load, and since you say that you have a problem when accelarating as well as climbing through the mountains, it leads me to believe this might be the problem, I would also suggest you check your fuel pressure along with your spark/ignition. I will send you our video links to show you how in case you dont'. And get back to me with your findings, If those things dont solve your problem, I would then check your throttle position sensor as the "tps" shows the engines computer where your foot is on the gas pedal.
Monday, November 10th, 2008 AT 3:31 PM
LEGITIMATE007
http://www.2carpros.com/car_repair_video/test_fuel_injection_pressure.htm
Monday, November 10th, 2008 AT 3:32 PM
LEGITIMATE007
http://www.2carpros.com/car_repair_video/test_engine_ignition_system.htm
Monday, November 10th, 2008 AT 3:33 PM
AWHITTY
Thanks for the info. I don't know much about cars and don't have the tools to do the tests. I'd more like to be informed about the possible problems for when I visit a local mechanic. There is a computer in the car, do you think the problem will show up there or would the mechanic need to go through these tests?

Thanks,
Amanda
Monday, November 10th, 2008 AT 4:57 PM
JNOVACK
There is a service bulliton that is about the pcm needing to have a software update I had the same probblem with my jeep and have had to do the same to other jeep as I am a jeep mechanic that I work on try that and also have the fuel pressure tested also have the air control valve tested and map sensor tested
Monday, November 10th, 2008 AT 5:50 PM
AWHITTY
The problem was the crank sensor. We originally hooked up a gas pressure gauge to test drive with but when the car stalled without any drop in pressure the mechanic was able to hook up the computer and found the specific error. It would have been a challenge to find had it not stalled right at the shop.
Sunday, November 30th, 2008 AT 11:11 AM