1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee wont idle

DOZ007
  • 1995 JEEP CHEROKEE
My 1995 jeep grand cherokee feels like it's running on 3 cylinders and wont idle. Was running fine, just started doing this out of the blue.
Saturday, March 5th, 2011 AT 1:16 AM

FIXITMR
Look for vacuum leaks. Also could be malfunctioning IAC vavle. You might wanna caheck your plugs and wires and coil(s) also.
Saturday, March 5th, 2011 AT 1:45 AM
I know this ain't you, yours is very, very similar. This will sorta guide you to what you have to do, it is really EZ to do! Yours may be on the side of the throttle body and may have 4 bolts, my wifes' is on the top and has 2 bolts. Our Escape would idle low, then it got to point it would die when you stopped. Revving + holding brake was only way to keep it running. Took it to fellow R/C airplane pilot, he doubles as a S.C. State HWY DEPT mechanic.. When I got to his house, he was repairing a tractor. Told him my sob story. Escape was still barely running, I raised the hood. He said, (and I quote)."It could be the IDLE AIR CONTROL(IAC)", as he pointed to it, and emphasied it with a sharp rap using the wrench in his hand. It straightened right up, and ran darn good. That was a 15/16 Craftsman wrench, box end, kinda a medium rap. We removed and cleaned it, it may have gone on for a lot longer. Since it was my wife's, I took no chances. YES, I visited parts store and replaced it, figgered it had 100,000 miles on it, and this was preventative maintenance in my eyes. Hope this helps. Hope I am dead on! Cleaning would be FREE, and at least Maybe take this factor out of the equation. The Medic
Saturday, March 5th, 2011 AT 2:05 AM
DOZ007
Thanks for the help guys. I replaced the Plugs and checked for a vacum leak. No leak found. The weird thing is, it still won't idle and runs really rough below 1500 to 2000 rmps. But if I rev it up it sounds normal but smells really bad out the exhaust. Any thoughts? Thanks again.
Sunday, March 6th, 2011 AT 1:38 AM
If it's doin' higher RPMs with no problem, or driving normal, I'd say the Catalytic converter may not be an issue. YOU MADE NO MENTION OF THE IAC---ARE YOU SKEEERRD TO TACKLE IT? BOTH fixitmr AND I, BOTH SORTA SUGGESTED IT MIGHT BE THE ISSUE (I WAS TYPING WHILE HE WAS, I WAS JUST SLOWER, I DID NOT PEEK AT HIS ANSWER!). IT REALLY AIN'T A BIG DEAL TO REMOVE AND CLEAN IT OR REPLACE IT. IAC, FINAL ANSWER. DID I WIN?---THE MEDIC
Sunday, March 6th, 2011 AT 2:42 AM
DOZ007
Lol. Thanks Medevac. I'm going to tackle it in the morning. A friend told me it could be the crankcase position sensor. Hmmm. IAC in the morning for sure. Thanks
Sunday, March 6th, 2011 AT 2:54 AM
LET fixitmr AND ME KNOW EARLY, SO YOU CAN BUY US LUNCH!

Sunday, March 6th, 2011 AT 4:06 AM