1999 Jeep Cherokee Leeking Anti Freeze

HOBBS922
  • 1999 JEEP CHEROKEE
I got in my car and my system notified me that I was low on coolant, I popped the hood added some antifreeze since it was low and got back in my car but the system still said I was low. I got back out and noticed that my car is leeking coolant and from the steady drip it must have been leeking for at least a few days for the coolant to be so low, but my car has never overheated. Any idea where I should start looking or what the most likely problem is?
Monday, February 2nd, 2009 AT 9:15 AM

TGFISHEL
First you need to find out where its leaking from get back with me. After you find the problem. Check hoses, radiator, drain plugs, water pump, coolant temperature switch, heater core also try getting new radiator cap. Good luck.
Monday, February 2nd, 2009 AT 10:11 PM
HOBBS922
I got under my car after I posted and from what I can tell it is not my radiator because I have a shield cover undeneath the radiator and it isn't wet anywhere around there. Its not the hose running from the reserve tank to the radiator either.

I can't see the water pump as it is behind all of the cranks for my timing belt, however I do think it is the water pump, since when I am underneath the car the fluid seems to be dripping down from along the very front of the motor. Is there anyway to confirm it is the water pump without taking off the timing belt?
Monday, February 2nd, 2009 AT 11:05 PM
TGFISHEL
Hi, I think the belt your looking at is your serpentine drivebelt , anyway you need to get down and look from the bottom of your waterpump for the weep hole to see if that is where coolant is leaking, you may need to use a flashlite to help see better if you dont have a repair manual now is the time to get one, it will show you how to check the water pump to see if its bad . I got mine from autozone for about 20$ not to bad. Its also got tons of other infor. Dont forget to use the site menu to left of the page. Hope this helps get back with me and let me know.
Tuesday, February 3rd, 2009 AT 9:05 PM