1998 Jeep Cherokee GAUGES AND FUEL PUMP

RAINWIZARD8
  • 1998 JEEP CHEROKEE
Hey Pros I have a serious problem. I got in my jeep yesterday it started fine, I drove it about five miles, went to get back in in to start it and it would not start. My fuel pump will not get output, I have no fire to the cylinders and my gauges don't work. Let me mention, it will crank and dash lights will work, but I have no fire to engine or fuel pump and gauges are out. I know it doesn't have a crash sensor, so do you guys know where I might have a problem? I have checked the ignition switch, crankshaft sensor and all fuses and relays. You guys helped me once hopefully you can again. THANKS
Tuesday, March 31st, 2009 AT 6:21 PM

JAMES W.
Do you power to the fuel pump relay socket?
Tuesday, March 31st, 2009 AT 9:35 PM
RAINWIZARD8
I do not, its like it's shut down somewhere between the harness and pump. I also have no fire going to the coil or plugs and my light on instrument panel work, but no gauges do. I have checked numerous things like the Balast resister, ignition switch, neutral safety switch, crankshaft sensor, and shift selector switch, fuses and relays too. Any other suggestions what to check?
Wednesday, April 1st, 2009 AT 11:23 AM
JAMES W.
There is a module mounted on the fuel tank that the pump circuit passes through. If fuse # 16 in the underhood fuse block is good and you have power to the FP relay socket, the problem must be with the module.
The dash gauge system is feed with 2 circuits. 1- fuse #16 in the underhood block. 2- #9 in the block behind the right side kick panel.
Wednesday, April 1st, 2009 AT 6:38 PM
RAINWIZARD8
I ASKED A QUESTION, ABOUT WHY MY SPEEDOMETER OR MY FUEL PUMP WOULD NOT WORK, WELL AFTER DAYS OF SEARCHING FOR ANSWERS AND LISTENING TO SUGGESTIONS I FOUND MY PROBLEM. IT WAS THE CRANKSHAFT SENSOR WAS BAD. I REPLACED NUMEROUS SENSORS AND WIRING HARNESS AND NOTHING FIXED THE PROBLEM, UNTILL I CHANGED THAT AND MU PROBLEM WAS SOLVED.
Sunday, April 19th, 2009 AT 1:19 PM
JAMES W.
Glad you found it. Many times on a Jeep, the CPS will fail and not trip a CE light. If the CPS was out, you should have lost injector pulse also. Problem is, there's really no good way to test them.
Sunday, April 19th, 2009 AT 1:28 PM