COOLANT LEAK

1997 Jeep Cherokee

mangum

November, 4, 2009 AT 3:39 PM

Engine Cooling problem
1997 Jeep Cherokee 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 110000 miles

I have a leak from my engine. The leak is above where the hose connects to the engine from the radiator. When I pour water into the radiator and look underneath I see water coming from the area about 2-3 inches above the hose connection on the engine. What would this be? How can I fix it or is it something to do with the engine? I have already replaced the radiator and all the hoses are in good shape so I know it is coming from the engine.

bluelightnin6

November, 4, 2009 AT 3:46 PM

Is it the upper or lower radiator hose? Could be the thermostat housing gasket that has failed and leaking coolant. It is located at the end of the radiator hose near engine.

mangum

November, 4, 2009 AT 4:00 PM

It is the lower radiator hose but it is leaking at the end connected at the engine. The hose is not leaking but when you look up from underneath you can see fluid coming from above the hose connection in the engine. Doeas that make sense. What is the lower radiator hose connected to at the engine the water pump?

mangum

November, 4, 2009 AT 4:03 PM

It is the lower radiator hose but it is leaking at the end connected at the engine. The hose is not leaking but when you look up from underneath you can see fluid coming from above the hose connection in the engine. Does that make sense. What is the lower radiator hose connected to at the engine the water pump?

bluelightnin6

November, 5, 2009 AT 2:45 PM

I believe your upper radiator hose has the thermostat while the bottom goes to the water pump. So since the lower radiator hose is where the problem is, it may actually be leaking from the water pump's weep holes. They will do this when they begin to fail.

mangum

November, 6, 2009 AT 8:48 AM

Thanks for you help. It is the water pump and I am changing it this weekend along with a tune-up and oil change.

Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Radiator Hose Replacement - Upper - Chevrolet
Upper and Lower Radiator Hose Replacement
Radiator Hoses and Thermostat Replacement