1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee - No power

MREISHUS
  • 1996 JEEP CHEROKEE
I have an intermittent problem where I will get no power to start the engine. Once started, it stills run great with 170,000 miles. I have tried replacing the battery and battery cables, but still have the problem. In the past I have always been able to get it to start by wiggling and messing with the cable connections at the battery, and I am still able to do this even after replacing the battery cables. But this is annoying to always have to get under the hood to get it started. Happens about every 5th time I start it.
Any other ideas as to what it could be?

Friday, August 24th, 2007 AT 12:42 PM

Check those little wires at the positive battery cable that leads to the power distribution box your problem could be here with a loose wire

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_muah1_2.gif

Friday, August 24th, 2007 AT 3:54 PM
GRICHARDS
Agree with rasmataz, wiggling wires to re-establish the power connection means loose connection. Track wires from battery to all other terminations, ensure everything is solid. Regarding the wires to the power distribution box, were these replaced, too, or are they original? Wire may have internal break, bad connection at termination to box. Have you put an OHM meter on the cables (power disconnected) to make sure there is Little or virtually no resistance in the wire? Put meter probe on each end, wiggle wire to ensure resistance value does not change - if it does, wire may have internal break.
Saturday, August 25th, 2007 AT 7:27 AM
MREISHUS
The problem is more consistent now. I couldn't get it to start all weekend. I checked again that it's not loose wires. I'm not getting any power to the battery and can't even get it to start with a jump.
Could it be the ignition coil, or something related?
Monday, August 27th, 2007 AT 8:50 AM
MREISHUS
When I turn the key on, I am sometimes hearing the relays click under the passenger side dash.
Monday, August 27th, 2007 AT 8:59 AM
Inspect and test the ignition switch.
Monday, August 27th, 2007 AT 3:31 PM
MIKEOGILVIE89
Mine doing same thing-told positive battery cable sytem(?) Part costs $300
Thursday, October 25th, 2007 AT 1:56 PM
TOBYU
In the fuse relay center next to the battery there is a starter relay. Pull it and clean terminals and connectors in relay socket. Brake cleaner spray works well. Put some grease or WD-40 on the terminals and try. The loose connection could be at the relay and not the battery cables.
Friday, November 16th, 2007 AT 2:31 AM