Sluggish acceleration

DARKCRISPY
  • 1996 JEEP CHEROKEE
I recently purchased a jeep from a friend. It had transmission problems but I had it replaced. It worked fine for a few days then gradually began to drive more sluggish. I get hardly any acceleration at all and when I do its uneven. The gears seem to switch smoothly.

Also to keep in mind
- it had sat for almost a year
- it has a bad catalytic converter

the engine was rebuilt about a year and a half to two years ago.
I have tried fuel additives and hi octane fuel to try n clean out the fuel injection but no luck on the first try.
suggestions?
Saturday, February 10th, 2007 AT 11:25 PM

It sounds like you have a map sensor that is not working right or a plugged catalytic converter here are tow guides and diagrams below to help us get the problem fixed.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/engine-has-low-power-output

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-test-a-catalytic-converter

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what happens.
Monday, February 12th, 2007 AT 5:11 AM
OIDAVEY
Thanks for this post I had the same problem and had to get a new MAP sensor cost me $56.00 I love this site.
Friday, January 18th, 2019 AT 6:50 PM
SICKLLPUP
  • 1996 JEEP CHEROKEE
1996 Jeep Cherokee 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 140K miles

my 1996 cherokee 2.5td doesnt keep any power on up hill gradients unless I can get a good run up, it will only rev to 3000 rpm in 1st or 2nd then the power drops off. Any suggestions?
Friday, January 18th, 2019 AT 6:51 PM (Merged)
Inspect and test all the following listed below:

Oxygen sensor
Catalytic converter
Dirty fuel injectors (cleaning the injectors often fixes this).
Bad MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor
Bad TPS (throttle position) sensor
Bad or dirty MAF (mass airflow) sensor
Low fuel pressure (leaky fuel pressure regulator or weak fuel pump)
Vacuum leaks (intake manifold, vacuum hoses, throttle body, EGR valve)
Bad gasoline (fuel contaminated with water or too much alcohol)
Dirty or worn spark plugs
Bad plug wires
Weak ignition coil
Cap and rotor

Note:If it doesn't apply disregard.
MREISHUS
  • 1996 JEEP CHEROKEE
I have an intermittent problem where I will get no power to start the engine. Once started, it stills run great with 170,000 miles. I have tried replacing the battery and battery cables, but still have the problem. In the past I have always been able to get it to start by wiggling and messing with the cable connections at the battery, and I am still able to do this even after replacing the battery cables. But this is annoying to always have to get under the hood to get it started. Happens about every 5th time I start it.
Any other ideas as to what it could be?

Check those little wires at the positive battery cable that leads to the power distribution box your problem could be here with a loose wire

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_muah1_2.gif

GRICHARDS
Agree with rasmataz, wiggling wires to re-establish the power connection means loose connection. Track wires from battery to all other terminations, ensure everything is solid. Regarding the wires to the power distribution box, were these replaced, too, or are they original? Wire may have internal break, bad connection at termination to box. Have you put an OHM meter on the cables (power disconnected) to make sure there is Little or virtually no resistance in the wire? Put meter probe on each end, wiggle wire to ensure resistance value does not change - if it does, wire may have internal break.
MREISHUS
The problem is more consistent now. I couldn't get it to start all weekend. I checked again that it's not loose wires. I'm not getting any power to the battery and can't even get it to start with a jump.
Could it be the ignition coil, or something related?
MREISHUS
When I turn the key on, I am sometimes hearing the relays click under the passenger side dash.
Inspect and test the ignition switch.
MIKEOGILVIE89
Mine doing same thing-told positive battery cable sytem(?) Part costs $300
RICHARD RID
  • 1996 JEEP CHEROKEE
Our car keeps randomly shutting off. I very sure it is the ignition switch connector the wires coming out of the connector two of them I burnt up and really corroded. I think it is numbers 7 and 6 I am trying to figure out where the wires go so I can rewire them.
TOBYU
In the fuse relay center next to the battery there is a starter relay. Pull it and clean terminals and connectors in relay socket. Brake cleaner spray works well. Put some grease or WD-40 on the terminals and try. The loose connection could be at the relay and not the battery cables.
Seven comes from PDC and six goes to junction block also check harness at rear of engine by stud on head it wears through there and causes multiple problems.
CLEATUS
  • 1996 JEEP CHEROKEE
I read another post about a jeep that described my situation to a T! But I need futher help. The post I am referring to is "recently my 97 jeep cherokee has started sputtering when fuel tank reaches 1/2 tank. Loss of power & acceleration as well as bucking. Any suggestions "

there was a reply of "Check the fuel pressure /charcoal canister purge solenoid."
I am a newlywed and dont have any $$$ for a mechanic. Any help futher explaining what the purge solenoid is and how to fix it.

Please help.
Start by checking the fuel pressure and comeback with the actual readings that's both vacuum at pressure regulator and w/o it-again I want readings not the thumb or eyeball method
PIRATEJEEP
  • 1989 JEEP CHEROKEE
1989 Jeep Cherokee 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic

Compact size cherokee 4.0L. Seems that anything between idle and WOT is hesitating and popping through the intake only in gear. In park or nuetral seems fine. Already adjusted TPS and have checked plugs, IAC, CTS, MAT, MAP and fuel pressure. Only thing out of spec if fuel pressure. That does not increase with vacuum disconnected from regulator. It is supposed to go up 8-10 psi and does not. So, will that cause a popping and lack of power or do I have some kind of valve problem?
Only thing out of spec if fuel pressure. That does not increase with vacuum disconnected from regulator. It is supposed to go up 8-10 psi and does not

It suppose to increase w/o vacuum to the pressure regulator-FP regulator is not maintaining the pressure-Hence: When load is increase the fuel pressure should also increase and its not happening
GMAN1166
  • 1989 JEEP CHEROKEEJEEP CHEROKEE
I have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited, I am having lost of power, hesitation and cutting in traffic. I have change the distributor cap, rotor, spark plug wires, VVS, spark plugs and clean the troter body. Help me out here please!
Friday, January 18th, 2019 AT 6:52 PM (Merged)
PEPPERMRJ
2 more maintenence items to try. Clean the EGR valve and make sure it function properly. Replace the fuel filter and run a tank or two with fuel injector cleaner.

Good luck and let us know. :)