How to change Starter Motor

DALLEN55
  • 2000 JAGUAR S-TYPE

Engine Mechanical problem V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 110000 miles

I am attempting to change the starter motor in the car. Looks like the nut at bottom of starter motor was welded by factor. This is the same nut/bolt that the negative cable was attached to. Is this normal?

I don't want to strip the bolt. Will not move.

Is there an easy way to get to the top bolt of starter with out taking most of the car a part?

Help, stuck

Monday, March 1st, 2010 AT 11:44 AM

2CARPROS KEN

You must disconnect the battery first and then raise the car up safely.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/jack-up-and-lift-your-car-safely

This guide will show you what you are in for when doing the repair.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-a-starter-motor

Disconnect negative battery cable. Raise and support vehicle. Remove electrical connector protective cover. Disconnect starter motor electrical connectors.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_jag_79.jpg

Here is what it will be like on your car (below)

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken

Monday, November 20th, 2017 AT 1:01 PM
JAYCASH84
  • 2000 JAGUAR S-TYPE

The lights come on and so does the radio. The battery is not the issue. When I try starting the car it clicks so I am assuming it is either the alternator or the starter.

Monday, November 20th, 2017 AT 1:02 PM (Merged)

Try a security system reset we have no information on that so call dealer. If that is okay then try having an assistant hit starter with hammer on body of starter if it starts starter will need replacing.

2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 2000 JAGUAR S-TYPE

How to remove starter

BLUELIGHTNIN6

Greetings

For safety, first disconnect the negative battery cable. Then safely raise and support the vehicle. Remove the electrical connector protective cover and disconnect the starter motor electrical connectors. Remove the oxygen sensor. Detach the oxygen sensor harness elctrical connector. Disconnect the ground cable at the starter mounting bolt. Remove the harness retaining bracket and remove starter motor. To install, reverse the removal procedures. A diagram to help you locate the starter is below.

N8375
  • 2000 JAGUAR S-TYPE

2000 Jaguar S-Type

is it easy to replace a starter on a 2000 s type 4.0 jaguar? Do I need speciat tools?

DAVE H

Removal & Installation (S-Type)
Disconnect negative battery cable. Raise and support vehicle. Remove electrical connector protective cover. Disconnect starter motor electrical connectors. Remove oxygen sensor. See Fig. 1. Detach oxygen sensor harness electrical connector.
Disconnect ground cable at starter mounting bolt. Remove harness retaining bracket. Remove starter motor. To install, reverse removal procedure. Tighten bolts to specification.

+2
COUNTYA
  • 2003 JAGUAR S-TYPE

How to Remove and replace starter? My understanding is the top bolt gives you problems to remove. Any suggestions on how I can make job easier for me?

STEVE W.

It's a bit tight but a short wobble extension and stubby ratchet will help once you break it loose. It's a gear reduction unit with the rear bolt tucked in pretty good.

To remove you disconnect the batt. Neg. Then jack and stands to get it up in the air, remove the batt. Lead off the starter, then the start lead. Then the mount bolts. Starter will rotate down and out. Reverse to replace. Watch out when you put the leads back on, they are not hard to twist in the housing.

+1
COUNTYA

How many bolts are there?

STEVE W.

2 The lower one is out in the open, the other one is tucked in behind the starter. The good thing is that starter is a small unit and easy to remove once the bolts are out.

+1