P0300 code

GLENNST
  • 2007 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I replaced my intake gasket. Then decided to perform a smoke test. I had never performed a smoke test. I used a smoker a friend had built that uses a bicycle pump to blow smoke from a can (mineral oil wick) into intake.

After about two to three minutes I could not see any leaks from intake or hoses, but smoke started coming out of my oil dip stick.

Is it okay to see this? Or should I be concerned I have a much bigger problem?
Sunday, November 18th, 2018 AT 4:47 AM

ASEMASTER6371
Good morning.

The smoke could be normal. If one of the valves were open and the smoke went into a cylinder, it would go by the rings and into the combustion chamber. Then it would account for the smoke at the oil dip stick tube.

Another possibility is that your gasket may be leaking directly into the valley and showing at the dipstick tube.

It sounds like your friends home made system has a lot of pressure. It should be very low pressure going into the system. It should be around 1 to 2 lbs. Of pressure only.

If it took two or three minutes, it sounds like you are good. If it was the gasket, it would have shown right away.

+1
Sunday, November 18th, 2018 AT 5:19 AM
GLENNST
Thanks Roy

I am 100% confident the gasket is not leaking at valley, or anywhere. I was concerned oil getting past rings/pistons was not possible unless a problem existed. The intake valves somewhere on a cylinder logically would be open and as you explained it worked its way through to crankcase/oil chambers.

A follow up question?

This started with a P0300 code. I have replaced gaskets, hoses, injectors, fuel regulator (psi 42 idle), fuel line from regulator, vacuum is 19 inhg, replaced cam sensor, map, purge valve, cleaned maf, cleaned valve covers/gaskets, confirmed all valves rocking/moving (not lifter). NOID test on injectors pass, spark test on coils pass except did see it miss on #1 briefly (see video), swapped bank1 / bank2 coil packs so #8 coil moved to #1 and this also tested/moved the coil connector wiring to primary connector. Dry compression testing shows 179 to 186 psi across #2-8 cylinders. #1 tested 160 psi. Wet test on #1 showed 160 also, but if I double crank cycles from 5 to 10 it reached 180 psi. Also after only 2 cycles it reached 151 psi. If I remove coil connector on 2-8 idle gets worse, on #1 it does not change. I sprayed seafoam injector cleaner into throttle but still has rough idle. I never see codes P0301-308, nor any other code. LTFT is 8% on bank 1, 17% on bank 2. STFT are +/- 3% on both banks. I plan to do a pressure check at upstream O2 sensors but think exhaust pressure clogged cat) would effect more cylinders? I am down to the coil wires from primary pack connector to ECU could have intermittent loss of signal for #1 coil? Or a bad ECU? Or is it most likely the lower compression on #1 cylinder indicates enough valve leakage (although 160) to misfire? If the attached video does indicate coil misfires then that would be separate and unrelated to cylinder pressure right?

Please provide ideas or thoughts?
Sunday, November 18th, 2018 AT 7:43 PM
ASEMASTER6371
Okay, if you have a 5.3 engine the pressure should be 50-60 lbs.

40 is too low and that will cause all kinds of issues and is the most common cause for the 300 code.

What engine do you have? I checked for the 5.3 since I saw number 8 coil.

Monday, November 19th, 2018 AT 2:49 AM
GLENNST
I think it is because it is the E-85 Flex Z engine? Early on I found some blogs and videos with a 2004 5.3L Z Flex fuel and information provided was 48-52 psi. On video this was pump on but not cranked. On video when cranked and idle psi dropped 8 psi to 42. My Tahoe is 50 not cranked and 42 idle. In a blog I cannot locate a person referenced a manual that indicated 55-60 for V6 and others, but for E-85 fuel 5.3 it was 48-52. Can you help me confirm and if I am good what is your next suggestion?
Monday, November 19th, 2018 AT 4:06 AM
ASEMASTER6371
The spec is 50-60 engine running.

345-414 kPa (50-60 psi)
Monday, November 19th, 2018 AT 4:25 AM
GLENNST
Here is another source. I forgot to mention that when idle and I remove the fuel line from regulator it jumps from 42 to 50. I did replace the fuel filter early on at same time I replaced regulator. It appears my fuel pressure for Z engine is okay. Do you agree? My luck is it is not an obvious and easy fix. On other video a fix was replacing main coil wiring primary connector. Question: Do you think a leak down test on #1 should be performed? Or is 160 psi good regardless of it being 12% lower than other cylinders okay?
Monday, November 19th, 2018 AT 4:38 AM
GLENNST
Roy I know you are the ASE MASTER EXPERT but that is wrong. The specs for a Flex Fuel 5.3 Z is 42 psi when idle / 48-52 without flow. This video below proves it after this guy put in a brand new fuel pump his new pressure at idle is 42 psi.

Either you are not ASE or you want to get rid of me. Oh well thanks for the dedicated support!
Monday, November 19th, 2018 AT 5:45 AM
ASEMASTER6371
I am ASE and have 2 25 year plaques for it.

I take my information from both manufacturers and Alldata. I do not and never will rely on YouTube.

Take it or leave it. Your choice.

No, I do not want to get rid of you. I want to help. You rely too much on YouTube which is not always accurate.

Monday, November 19th, 2018 AT 6:04 AM
GLENNST
I apologize for quick response but thought you answered so fast I wondered if you pulled data. Before I buy a fuel pump I really need to be sure. If you are correct then I am going to be upset with all those YouTube s because I have been moving forward assuming my pressure was spot on.
Monday, November 19th, 2018 AT 6:56 AM
ASEMASTER6371
No worries. I always use trusted information.
Monday, November 19th, 2018 AT 7:08 AM
GLENNST
I just joined ALLDAYdiy for $15.00 a year subscription. Under my vehicle specs, fuel pressure, it lists below. Per below it lists Z engine as (48-54 psi). That is for KEY ON, Engine OFF. Thus the idle pressure should be (40-46 psi) with engine running. (Or 8 psi less when running). My readings on my truck are 50psi KEY ON, Engine Off and 42psi running IDLE.

Do you still think I have low fuel pressure? If not can you reread my situation and provide more feedback?

Below from ALLDATA:

Your Vehicle: 2004 Chevy Truck Tahoe 2WD V8-5.3L VIN Z Flex Fuel

Specifications

Fuel Pressure (Key ON, Engine OFF) 385-425 kPa (55-62 psi)

Fuel Pressure (vin Z) 335-375 kPa (48-54 psi)
Monday, November 19th, 2018 AT 7:28 AM
GLENNST
I realize how I have created confusion. I made this thread and accidentally entered my 2007 truck instead of my 2004 Tahoe. I should have put my vehicle as a 2004 Tahoe. My apologies. That explains the confusion. I would appreciate continued help.

Monday, November 19th, 2018 AT 7:31 AM
ASEMASTER6371
Then your pressure looks correct.

Your long term trim on the one bank is high indicating a lean condition. That bank needs to be checked. It could be an injector.

Monday, November 19th, 2018 AT 8:06 AM
GLENNST

I installed new injectors during gasket upgrade. All test NOID and I can hear them clicking with stethoscope. Should I still swap them around?

Pictures below are from freeze data. Trims on both banks above 10% with bank 2 being worse.

Since I have new injectors, new MAP, and intake is not leaking would this point to bad O2 sensors? I will get two new sensors in mail tomorrow. Should I replace both upstream, or a full bank?

Were you able to see my video I sent yesterday of the spark test on cylinder #1? Did the spark appear to be missing?
Monday, November 19th, 2018 AT 11:26 AM
GLENNST
Injectors that I installed below. They were new and supposed to be factory spec tested.

Product description
Specification:
NEW! Performance 8 Pack Fuel Injector 25326903 FOR 2002-07 CHEVY FLEX FUEL 5.3L 12580426 FJ502 FJ737

Interchange Part Number: 50130 832-12114 832-11182 217-1626;
Manufacturer Part Number: 25326903 12580426;
Other Part Number: FJ502 FJ737;

Fitment For:
2007 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Classic
CHEVROLET AVALANCHE 1500 2005 V8-5.3L Fuel Injector
CHEVROLET EXPRESS 1500 2007 V8-5.3L Fuel Injector
CHEVROLET SILVERADO 1500 2002-2006 V8-5.3L Fuel Injector
CHEVROLET SUBURBAN 1500 2002-2006 V8-5.3L Fuel Injector
CHEVROLET TAHOE 2002-2006 V8-5.3L Fuel Injector
GMC SAVANA 1500 2007 V8-5.3L Fuel Injector
GMC SIERRA 1500 2002-2006 V8-5.3L Fuel Injector
GMC YUKON 2002-2006 V8-5.3L Fuel Injector
GMC YUKON XL 1500 2002-2006 V8-5.3L Fuel Injector
Monday, November 19th, 2018 AT 11:29 AM
ASEMASTER6371
Bank 2 is too high. You have a lean condition for bank 2 only.

No to the O2 sensor. It is doing its job.

No video came up from yesterday. Please resend.

Swapping injectors from left to right will verify injectors if the long term goes to bank.

Monday, November 19th, 2018 AT 11:33 AM
GLENNST

I read below quote in an article about fuel trims. Would this mean that if my MAF was bad only cleaned it) or there were a slight intake leak (none found) that high trims would not be caused by higher air intake?

On engines that use a manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor to determine airflow, a vacuum leak does not affect fuel trim because the extra air (pressure) in the manifold is still measured by the MAP sensor.

If misfires are occuring what happens to the fuel/ air mix that did not combust? Is it ejected on exhaust stroke and if so would that cause lean reading on O2 sensors? Should higher than normal fuel trim readings be normal during misfires?
Monday, November 19th, 2018 AT 11:52 AM
GLENNST
Roy, I am trying to attach the spark test video again (cylinder 1). Hope it works.

It indicated it compressed the video and uploaded it. Hope you can see it.
Monday, November 19th, 2018 AT 11:54 AM
ASEMASTER6371
Okay,

1. You cannot clean a mass air flow sensor. There is no cleaner that can get the burned carbon off the probe. If the sensor was bad, both banks would read the same. Not one side high and one side low,

2. A vacuum leak definitely affects fuel trim. The fuel mapping will change when unmetered air enters the intake.

3. Your misfires are not enough fuel mixture, not too much so there is no additional unburned fuel/air mix.

Monday, November 19th, 2018 AT 12:22 PM
GLENNST
Thanks Roy.

Did you get the video?
Monday, November 19th, 2018 AT 12:56 PM