Instrument panel gauges

BRETACRUNK
  • 2004 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
All the gauges on the instrument panel do not work. The lights are working and the turn signal lights come on. For some reason, the high beam indicator stays on and drains the battery with the key out. Fuse is good.
Sunday, February 10th, 2019 AT 7:24 PM

Hi and thanks for using 2CarPros.

I have to be honest. A lot of the instrument clusters failed and needed to be replaced. With that being said, you need to run a diagnostic check on the one in the vehicle to determine if it is bad. Based on your description, I believe the internal circuitry has shorted causing the high beam light to get power all the time but not nothing else is getting power.

To test the cluster requires a scanner. I don't know if you have one, but if you look through the three pictures I attached, you will find they are the instrument cluster diagnostic flow chart. I am attaching them for you in case you have a scanner or have access to one. Also, the following correlates with the test.

The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.
2. Lack of communication may be due to a partial malfunction of the class 2 serial data circuit or due to a total malfunction of the class 2 serial data circuit.
The specified procedure will determine the particular condition.
4. The symptom list in Symptoms will determine the correct diagnostic procedure to use.
5. The presence of DTCs which begin with "U" indicate some other module is not communicating. The specified procedure will compile all the available information before tests are performed.

If you are able to perform the test, let me know the results so I can further advise you.

Let me know if you have other questions.

+1
Sunday, February 10th, 2019 AT 8:18 PM