2004 HYUNDAI SANTRO FUEL PRESSURIZATION AND TANK RUPTURE

• Rudebob
  • 2004 Hyundai Santro

2004 Hyundai Santro 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 70000 miles

My wifes car has been throwing a fuel system code for a few weeks. Initially, I suspected a simple gas cap replacement or hose leak somewhere. Then the gas tank started leaking. I dropped the tank and sure enough there is a ruputure type crack in a formed ridge on top top of the tank (nowhere near a contact area or area I would believe to be subject to fatigue stress).

I can fix/repair the tank but something else is happening to cause excess tank pressure (IMO). Could a faulty vapor canister valve cause the tank to build up too much pressure or is there something else I should look at?

Thanks,

Michael

Monday, January 11th, 2010 AT 7:11 AM

• rasmataz

Plugged charcoal canister, also a liquid -vapor seperator, clogged/pinched vent lines could cause excessive pressure causing it to collapsed

Monday, January 11th, 2010 AT 9:37 AM
  • Rudebob

Thanks for the reply. The cannister is clear and I checked for obstructions in the line. Is there any kind of venting the occurs within the system that, if it were to fail, could cause overpressurization? So far all I can find is the valve going into the vapor cannister. However, I thought this only allowed for an opening in the fuel system when the ignition is off to allow for fueling via the gas cap? Am I wrong about the function of this valve?

Any more thoughts would be appreciated.

Tuesday, January 12th, 2010 AT 8:46 AM