FUEL PRESSURIZATION AND TANK RUPTURE

2004 Hyundai Santro

Rudebob

January, 11, 2010 AT 7:11 AM

2004 Hyundai Santro 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 70000 miles

My wifes car has been throwing a fuel system code for a few weeks. Initially, I suspected a simple gas cap replacement or hose leak somewhere. Then the gas tank started leaking. I dropped the tank and sure enough there is a ruputure type crack in a formed ridge on top top of the tank (nowhere near a contact area or area I would believe to be subject to fatigue stress).

I can fix/repair the tank but something else is happening to cause excess tank pressure (IMO). Could a faulty vapor canister valve cause the tank to build up too much pressure or is there something else I should look at?

Thanks,

Michael

January, 11, 2010 AT 9:37 AM

Plugged charcoal canister, also a liquid -vapor seperator, clogged/pinched vent lines could cause excessive pressure causing it to collapsed

Rudebob

January, 12, 2010 AT 8:46 AM

Thanks for the reply. The cannister is clear and I checked for obstructions in the line. Is there any kind of venting the occurs within the system that, if it were to fail, could cause overpressurization? So far all I can find is the valve going into the vapor cannister. However, I thought this only allowed for an opening in the fuel system when the ignition is off to allow for fueling via the gas cap? Am I wrong about the function of this valve?

Any more thoughts would be appreciated.

Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe