2002 Hyundai Santa Fe Starts and runs for 3 seconds

ITSALLGOOD
  • 2002 HYUNDAI SANTA FE

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 100322 miles

Is there a sensor that the computer wants information from after the engine has been running for 3 seconds?

Friday, May 16th, 2008 AT 4:52 PM

Check the fuel pressure and comeback with the pressure readings before we can go somewhere else. I need this information.

Friday, May 16th, 2008 AT 5:27 PM
ITSALLGOOD

I'll get a guage and check it tomorrow. I did check the spark plugs today (they are new ) - black soot on all of them, one of them was gaped too small - reset the gap on all of them. Now the engine will run for exactly 4 seconds. Before regaping the plugs it would run for exactly 3 seconds. Took off the fuel rail with all four injectors - they all have a very nice spray. Bypassed fuel relay to keep the pump running - engine still dies at 4 seconds. Will check pressure next.

Saturday, May 17th, 2008 AT 3:02 AM

Get that done and comeback with the fuel pressures for evaluation that's with and w/o the pressure regulator.

Saturday, May 17th, 2008 AT 3:20 AM
ITSALLGOOD

Checked fuel pressure today. Pressure coming out of the pump: 75psi, pressure at the rail is 49 or 50psi - with or with out the vacuum hose plugged into the manifold port.

Saturday, May 17th, 2008 AT 9:41 PM

See below fuel pump specifications

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_fuel1_1.jpg

Sunday, May 18th, 2008 AT 6:15 AM
ITSALLGOOD

Ok, so the regulator should be keeping the pressure at 37. I'll try and find a new one on Monday. As I understand this, the fuel pressure is too high at the injectors and they are spraying too much fuel into the manifold making the sensors send crazy signals to the computer - then the computer is shutting everything down? And all this stuff takes exactly 3 seconds? (I did get it up to 4 seconds - but now it is back at 3).

Sunday, May 18th, 2008 AT 1:38 PM
ITSALLGOOD

Installed new regulator yesterday, pressure at the rail was 43psi - engine would not start. Re-installed original regulator, pressure: 50psi - engine will not start.
It has spark, and it sounds like it will run, but when let the key off of the start position - engine stops.

Tuesday, May 20th, 2008 AT 2:17 PM

Sounds like ignition circuit at ignition switch is open-No power to the igniton system-

Check the ignition failure sensor on rear of cylinder head.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_ign1_1.jpg

Tuesday, May 20th, 2008 AT 3:33 PM
ITSALLGOOD

Did start today, ran for 3 seconds, one or two times it ran for 4 seconds. Will only actualy start and run 1 in 6 tries.
Checked the wires to the shut off switch:

Pink/Black is 12v with Key ON
Orange has 12v also with the Key On - voltage stays at 12 while the engine is running for 3 seconds - and stays at 12v while/and after the engine dies.
White has.10 with Key ON and 1.5-3v when it does run.
Black is Ground at all times.

Tuesday, May 20th, 2008 AT 5:36 PM
ITSALLGOOD

Was just thinking, what are the odds that the new crank sensor is a bad one?

+1
Wednesday, May 21st, 2008 AT 3:43 PM

Other Transfer Case 4x4 Questions