OVERHEATING

Hyundai

sabaldwin0069

June, 11, 2007 AT 9:20 AM

I have a 1996 Hyundai Accent GT 16 valve five-speed manual transmission with 153K miles. The car over heats when traveling faster than 65 MPH. I don't see a lot of movement when I open the radiator cap, when hot and no foam, and I don't hear any noises from water pump. The car stays cool traveling a low speeds (all day long), but I removed the thermostat and have noticed a slight improvement at high speeds. It should be noted that the car has been extremely hot a couple of times and I must top-off anti-freeze (about a pint) every two days (I travel 200 miles per day). Spark Plugs have shown a slight green tinge at tip, but overall the car runs great (especially in cool weather). Both radiator fans work and there is no leak anywhere I can see. I once put in some fiberglass stop-leak, maybe too-much?

M_H_RITZEL

June, 11, 2007 AT 10:26 AM

Cars work better with a themastat. It keep the fluid from circulating to fast and not letting the cars radiator work properly. Use a low temp themastat. Back flush the system with the themastat out. The radiator could have a clog in it. With loosing anti freeze you could have the system pressure checked to see where you are loosing antifreeze.

Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser