2000 Hyundai Accent Engine won't idle when warm.

WHITEKNIGHT1969
  • 2000 HYUNDAI ACCENT
I just bought this car. I did take it for a test drive but I guess I should have driving just a bit ferther. Anyway, it start very good when cold and stays idleing. After it warms up, it will not stay idleing. I have to press on the gas pedel just a bit to keep it running when it's completely warmed up.
Found this problem yesterday when I drove it home. I checked the plugs and wires and let me tell you, the person who sold me the car was lucky it ran at all. I changed the plugs and wires but the problem did not go away.
Yes, the Check Engine light is on and was on when I test drove the car. But I had a Jeep in which had the check engine light on and nothing was wrong with it. Yes, I took that Jeep to get tested.
The car sounds like it has very good potential. Can you help me figure out why it won't stay idleing when warmed up?
Saturday, October 2nd, 2010 AT 6:57 AM

KHLOW2008
Hi Whiteknight1969,

Thank you for the donation.

When the CEL indicates, it can be one of more than a hundred reasons and can be anything from a poorly closed fuel filler cap to an engine or transmission sensor fault.

Get a scan done and let me know the exact trouble code so we can understand and determine if it is related to the idling fault.

When idling spped is too low, the usual cause are dirty throttle body and Idle Air control valve. Get them cleaned and retest.
Saturday, October 2nd, 2010 AT 9:09 AM
WHITEKNIGHT1969
I got the car tested and it had 8 codes in all. I took it to a mech shop I know very well and the owener suggested I disconnect the battery for 30 min. Before this he checked the MAF and it was bad. I replaced this along with the fuel cap. When I disconnected the battery I noticed that it is to small for the car. It looks like a lawnmore battery. I will replace this when I have more funds.
The car does idle when warm now but it idles lower then what it should. The check ingine light did come back on. I will take your advice and clean the throttle body and idle control valve this weekend. I will replace the battery by next Fri.
It is a very good little car other then these glitches. I've already went through a tank full of gas and it gets over 31MPG. Which is MUCH better then the tank I use to drive and that's another story. I'm sure I know what's wrong with it, but Desel parts are VERY expensive. Also, I would either have to take it somewhere or get a book and TRY to do it myself. Needless to say, I would rather have a profesional work on my truck. Even though I know I can learn, I also know I don't have all the electronic tools to fine tune it after I replace the part or parts I believe are giving me the problem.
Thank you very much and I will let you know what happens after I clean or replace those parts.
Thursday, October 7th, 2010 AT 6:18 AM
KHLOW2008
Thank you for the input.

I believe cleaning the throttle body and IAC would solve your problem. Job is not too difficult and you should be able to do it with a can of carb cleaner.
Thursday, October 7th, 2010 AT 8:00 AM