My car turns over but wont start.

MARVIN0232
  • 2002 HYUNDAI ACCENT

My car turns over but wont start. I hear a clicking sound when my fuel pump kicks on it happened all of a sudden

Thursday, August 28th, 2014 AT 1:04 PM

Have you checked to see if there is spark to the plugs and the fuel pump pressure is within the manufacturer's specs?

Thursday, August 28th, 2014 AT 7:31 PM
BHINDLEY

BAD IGNITION COIL CONNECTION TO WIRING HARNESS

It seems that the connector gets old and brittle after time. Becomes an intermittent problem. It is probably common and why there are so many posts about this. It was a devil to figure out.

I had a similar issue on my 1998 Hyundai GL (stick shift). After replacing the battery, fuel pump and relay, fuel filter, checking all the sensors, checking out the ECU which gave no codes, and paying a lot of different mechanics who couldn't figure it out I decided to try replacing the ignition coil. After that is seemed to work, then went a little funky. I discovered that it was running on just 2 cylinders. When I wiggled the wires to the ignition coil it resolved the problem which then came back. Upon swapping back the original ignition coil to test I found that the connector from the wiring harness was very brittle and after fiddling with it I realized that this was a problem. Not able to find a replacement connector easily I drove it around on 2 cylinders with one of the leads hard wired. It then consistently ran - but on only 2 cylinders. I then hard wired the other 2 yesterday. That seems to have fixed the issue. It was as simple as that. Intermittently bad connection to the ignition coil.

If you need to replace that connector it is "Ignition Coil Wire Harness For 96-00 Elantra, 97-01 Tiburon 27367 23000" Beware that Hyundai uses the same part number for the condenser part - so verify that. I had to wrong part sent to me twice before I gave up and hardwired it. That part costs about $30 if you can find it. Thought I would share.

Sunday, July 23rd, 2017 AT 12:19 PM
NIKKI27
  • 2002 HYUNDAI ACCENT

2002 Hyundai Accent 4 cyl Manual

it wont start

Monday, July 24th, 2017 AT 3:06 PM (Merged)
MHPAUTOS

Hi there,

You will have to check for fuel pressure, spark and injection pulse, I would also do a scan and check for any set fault codes, these have a habit of having bad crank shaft sensors.

ARMY50
  • 2002 HYUNDAI ACCENT

2002 Hyundai Accent 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 12000 miles

replaced fuel filter and fuel pump, car would turn over but not start

LEGITIMATE007

Check mass air flow sensor, pcv valve, breather, and air filter. If this doesnt work, see if your getting fuel, spark. I 'll send you the video how to.

+1
LEGITIMATE007

This will show you how to check your spark:

http://www.2carpros.com/car_repair_video/test_engine_ignition_system.htm

LEGITIMATE007

This will show you how to check your fuel pressure:

http://www.2carpros.com/car_repair_video/test_fuel_injection_pressure.htm

+1
LILRED257
  • 2002 HYUNDAI ACCENT

2002 Hyundai Accent 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

While driving my radio, speedometer, odometer, wipers and lights stopped working, but engine and brakes worked fine. When I stopped the car would not restart. Please let me know what the problem might be. Thank you.

When I stopped the car would not restart

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it

R350X
  • 2002 HYUNDAI ACCENT

2002 Hyundai Accent 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 80000 miles

what would cause a hyundai accent not to fire till you give it a shot of starting fluid then will start runs fine

WRENCHTECH

The first think I would check is the fuel pressure. If that is within spec, then you will need a scan tool to look and the various temp sensor values.

+1
DOUGLASCW7
  • 2002 HYUNDAI ACCENT

2002 Hyundai Accent 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 129000 miles

When driving my hyundai accent if I stop and turn off my engine for a short period of time it will turn over but not start unless I put starter fluid in it and press the peddle

Check the fuel pressure if it's within specs to rule out the fuel filter and fuel pump.

BHINDLEY

I had the same mystery. I don't know why starter fluid would sort of work and then not. But here is what I did find:

FTLDAN
  • 2002 HYUNDAI ACCENT

2002 Hyundai Accent 4 cyl Manual 50,000 miles

Yesterday when I was driving home, my gas light was on for awhile but I was exhausted and decided to push it to get home without getting gas. When I went to start the car later that night it would not start and I assumed that it was out of gas. I put a gallon of gas in the tank but it still wont start. Today, it turns over and then dies as soon as you push the accelerator pedal. Any ideas about what might be wrong with the car?

Perform a fuel pressure check to rule out the fuel filter/intank fuel pick-up screen and pump-

RADACHECK
  • 2002 HYUNDAI ACCENT

2002 Hyundai Accent 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 26000 miles

Original starter failed. Replaced it. That starter failed. Replaced it. That starter failed. I asked the mechanin what was frying our starters. They said it was only a starter problem. They got it started somehow. They told me that if it was an electrical problem going into the starter it would make a grinding sound, which it didn't. They told us we just had bad luck with starters. We are getting an original Hyundai starter this time. Is their diagnosis reasonable?

Monday, July 24th, 2017 AT 3:07 PM (Merged)
BMRFIXIT

Possible very possible
next time it happens I would starter connections
make sure they are tight on
and or have another opinion take a look at it

SEO101
  • 2002 HYUNDAI ACCENT

2002 Hyundai Accent 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive 56,000 miles

I have a 2002 Hyundai Accent that will start sometimes and other times will not start. The battery seems to be ok as the car wants to start but will not turn over or I guess ignite. The cables are little old but they seem to be what they are suppose to do. I cleaned the post and terminals

If I unhook the cables, the will start sometimes and other times it will not start. I was told this would reset the computer and relays to the fuel pump. I noticed that sometimes I hear the fuel pump when I put the key into the" on" position. Other times I do not hear the fuel pump. I also notice that when I pump the gas peddle several times I smell gas like it is flooded and other times I can pump the gas peddle several times and I do not smell gas at all not matter how many times that I pump the gas peddle while trying to start it.

The car does require that you premium gas but since gas prices has risen, we are using regular gas.

Notes: The car runs fine once that engine starts. We have noticed that the car is running better since I used an fuel injection additive that was put into the gas tank.

1 Should I hear the fuel pump every time even if I keep trying over and over?