Engine Cranks Over Won't Start

GREG TALBERT NELSON
  • 2006 HYUNDAI ACCENT

Purchased a OBDS2 and received a code camshaft position A low input sensor. Installed new one and the code read the same except for high input sensor. Still won't start. Installed a new fuel pump and the car still won't start. Checked the code again and the code read low input with the new camshaft sensor on. What good is this tool if it won't tell you the real problem and does anybody have any thoughts or opinions on what the problem might be. The vehicle is a 2006 Accent

Monday, June 13th, 2011 AT 11:15 PM

Cranks but no start condition:

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine at least 3/16 away from ground -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if so, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it.

Tuesday, June 14th, 2011 AT 8:29 AM
BMRFIXIT

Should list the codes to better assist you
Tools and scanner cannot fix the problem but sure indicate to the troubled area where an investigation should start
Replacing parts is a 50/50 chance to fix the problem

Check wiring
Check timing (belt)

Tuesday, June 14th, 2011 AT 10:31 AM
BHINDLEY

BAD IGNITION COIL CONNECTION TO WIRING HARNESS

It seems that the connector gets old and brittle after time. Becomes an intermittent problem. It is probably common and why there are so many posts about this. It was a devil to figure out.

I had a similar issue on my 1998 Hyundai GL (stick shift). After replacing the battery, fuel pump and relay, fuel filter, checking all the sensors, checking out the ECU which gave no codes, and paying a lot of different mechanics who couldn't figure it out I decided to try replacing the ignition coil. After that is seemed to work, then went a little funky. I discovered that it was running on just 2 cylinders. When I wiggled the wires to the ignition coil it resolved the problem which then came back. Upon swapping back the original ignition coil to test I found that the connector from the wiring harness was very brittle and after fiddling with it I realized that this was a problem. Not able to find a replacement connector easily I drove it around on 2 cylinders with one of the leads hard wired. It then consistently ran - but on only 2 cylinders. I then hard wired the other 2 yesterday. That seems to have fixed the issue. It was as simple as that. Intermittently bad connection to the ignition coil.

If you need to replace that connector it is "Ignition Coil Wire Harness For 96-00 Elantra, 97-01 Tiburon 27367 23000" Beware that Hyundai uses the same part number for the condenser part - so verify that. I had to wrong part sent to me twice before I gave up and hardwired it. That part costs about $30 if you can find it. Thought I would share.

Sunday, July 23rd, 2017 AT 12:16 PM
2CARPROS KEN

Great addition to this thread! Please feel free to help out whenever you are on the site :)

Cheers, Ken

Monday, July 24th, 2017 AT 2:55 PM
BUTCHJR
  • 2006 HYUNDAI ACCENT

2006 Hyundai Accent 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 56000 miles

WHEN GAS CAP IS REMOVED TO REFUEL THE CAR WILL NOT START, ALSO WITH GAS CAP OFF THE CAR WILL DIE

Monday, July 24th, 2017 AT 2:55 PM (Merged)

WHen this happens, have you ever checked fuel pump pressure? Is sounds like once the pressure is released from the tank, the system bleeds down which will cause it to be hard to start.

Let me know.

JOANNE70
  • 2006 HYUNDAI ACCENT

Battery replaced, there is spark, but it wont start, sensors have been checked, coils checked

Monday, July 24th, 2017 AT 2:56 PM (Merged)

Check the fuel pressure and injector pulses

JOANNE70

Both have been checked, any other options?

What is the fuel pressure reading?

JOANNE70

40psi, if I remember correctly.

Low fuel pressure-should be 49.8 psi regulated

JOANNE70

3.8bar to be more specific

How did you check the injectors?

Could be the fuel pump has failed or a timing belt issue

JOANNE70

I have no idea. A mechanic is doing the testing, I just trying to help, as they cannot find the fault, they are at present checking the wiring and the fuses. But I have asked him if he checked all the necessary things listed in your answer for the engine cranks but wont start, he has checked and tested all the things.

THADDEUSBROSKIOFTHEWEEKBLUFFINGTON

It turned out to be the timing belt and also one of the gears came loose but I must ask. How much could it possibly run me to get it fix?

Go here:http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Labor and Parts varies with location shop around for the lowest repair cost

THADDEUSBROSKIOFTHEWEEKBLUFFINGTON

So, the Cam Shaft came loose and the mechanic I took it to said
"That shouldn't happen"
I took my car to another mechanic before and they did the work that caused this. Are they liable for the damage and should I pay another dime to them because and should they fix it for free.