How to replace rear HVAC blend door actuator

JEFF_WRENCHONIT
  • 2011 CHEVROLET TAHOE
The rear HVAC is blowing hot when the AC is on. I had the dealership look at it and was told that the rear hvac temperature door actuator needed to be replaced. I ordered/received the new part and was able to remove the interior trim from the right/rear of the vehicle to access the rear hvac equipment. The actuator however is located BEHIND the hvac equipment. Pretty much between the blower/ductwork and the outside of the vehicle. My question is how do I pull the unit so I can access/replace the actuator? Do I need to pull the heater lines, and if so, will I lose fluids, etc. And what add'l service will be needed.
Thank You.
Wednesday, August 12th, 2015 AT 6:34 AM

Your pic didnt' come through however try pulling fuse for that for a minute then reinstall with key on it may reset the actuator. See pics for removal air bags need to be disabled.
+2
Wednesday, August 12th, 2015 AT 6:55 AM
JEFF_WRENCHONIT
I'm going to try to attach the photo again in this reply. The first thing I did was pull the fuse and try to reset the actuator but no luck. The diagrams you provided show how to pull the interior trim.I already got that off with no problem. The sticking point is accessing the actual actuator which is behind the hvac unit. Hopefully the attached photo will come through and you can see what I mean. Thanks.
+1
Wednesday, August 12th, 2015 AT 7:00 AM
Everything that I have in our manual is sowing the temp actuator in first pic and mode in 2nd pic, it says nothing about pulling the havac unit off the truck. Ihave checked 2010-2012 in both gmc and Chevrolet they both show the same setup. I have no further thing to tell you about this. Unless our manual is wrong. If you have to pull the hvac unit you will have to blow the charge and evacuate and recharge entire system. It 's the same from 2009-2013
+1
Wednesday, August 12th, 2015 AT 7:53 AM
Just rechecking your pic look at where the arrow is in this pic I put in are yousure that is Not the actuator?
+1
Wednesday, August 12th, 2015 AT 7:55 AM
WRENCHTECH
Hi Guys, just wanted to let you know that I checked Alldata and got the exact same info that you did. It's on the outside.
+1
Wednesday, August 12th, 2015 AT 8:41 AM
JEFF_WRENCHONIT
Thanks for the responses guys.
I'm now I'm really stumped! I took a picture of the full unit and you will see that there are no actuators on the face of the HVAC unit like illustrated in the diagrams posted.
I placed the new actuator on top of the hvac unit and took a picture (see my next post) shooting down from the top, behind the unit. You can barely see the installed/defective actuator and you will see that the shape and tab are the same as the new actuator so I'm pretty confident I'm looking at the right thing!
Like I said.I'm stumped! Anyone have a suggestion on how to proceed? I would hate to have to recharge the system. That's well out of my wheel house and I have no idea where I'd even begin.
Thanks again.
+1
Wednesday, August 12th, 2015 AT 9:01 AM
JEFF_WRENCHONIT
Other picture shooting down behind hvac unit
+1
Wednesday, August 12th, 2015 AT 9:02 AM
See if you can take out the bolts/screws of housing around blower and see if it will move enough to get to actuator screws they should be 7mm if memory serves me correct. Or maybe take the clips off that duct work and if it willremove give you enough space to replace it with both things off and out of way.
+1
Wednesday, August 12th, 2015 AT 9:34 AM