HOW MUCH WILL IT COST TO FIX MY CAR THAT HAS NOT BEEN DRIVEN IN 2 YEARS

• Khgreenmsw
  • 2002 PONTIAC GRAND AM

We have not run our car in about 2 years. It needed a repair but never got it diagnosed. How much will it cost to fix - the not having run it part - as we don't know what he original repair needed was?

Saturday, June 29th, 2013 AT 9:16 PM

• Jacobandnickolas

Can you describe what the vehicle was doing prior to being parked? That way I can try to determine what the problem may be.

As far as sitting, you need to drain the old fuel from the tank, blow out the lines, and replace the fuel filter. Check all fluids to make sure they are full before starting it.

Saturday, June 29th, 2013 AT 9:21 PM
  • Khgreenmsw

The steering would shutter when turning left and resist turns and inconsistent acceleration. Steering and acceleration diagnostics had been recommended.
What do you think? How much do you estimate? Thanks!

Saturday, June 29th, 2013 AT 10:51 PM
  • Jacobandnickolas

It sounds like the rack and pinion was going bad. That is about a 250.00 part from a parts store plus around 3 hours labor to replace.

As far as the engine, that could be a hundred different things. It may just need a tune up which should be around 150.00.

If the car is in good condition, it may be worth putting the money into it. I have no idea where you live so I don't know if it is rusted, damaged from an accident.

Sunday, June 30th, 2013 AT 11:56 AM