Horn lights wipers power locks and windows

MANDY MCCALL
  • 2005 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE
The horn has been randomly going off on. Also, noticed out headlights flicker on and off but when I put it on high beam then back on low they do fine. We changed the horn relay which was fine, then the totally integrated control module which was not. Checked all the wires we could see and find no issues. Not sure where to go from here. Oh and now my windshield wipers turn on when starting and cutting off the vehicle. Also, power locks and windows do not work.
Friday, April 21st, 2017 AT 5:05 PM

STEVE W.
Did you use a new TIPM or a used one?
Have you tested the front control module, it is bolted to the front of the TIPM. It controls most of the items you're having problems with. Also, check the grounds next to them. If they fail you get various problems as the control voltages start fluctuating.

The other issue could be odd data on the CAN buss. That takes a break out box and analyzer to look at.
I would take a look at the data on the buss and off a good scan tool and see what is being commanded to do what.

Also check the actual power distribution center, they fail a lot as well.
Hard to do much of that testing without a scan tool that let's you watch or command the various modules though.
+1
Friday, April 21st, 2017 AT 10:23 PM
MANDY MCCALL
Thank you Steve for your reply! The TIPM was from eBay so used. I have to say before we put that one in all that was wrong was the horn and lights flickering then once we put in the new used TIPM the vehicle would not start. So we put the old on in and it started right up only to notice the windshield wipers went off on start and shut off of the motor. Also all of the sudden the power windows and locks stopped working as well. We have checked the ground wires but honestly not sure we could be missing something. I think we will invest in a scan tool right now that looks cheaper then some possible fixes on this thing!
Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 AT 6:56 AM
STEVE W.
Do not rush into buying a scan tool until you decide how far you want to go in DIY repairs. The tool needs to be able to view live data and watch as items are controlled, most of the lower priced ones don't do that very well.
Get a copy of the factory service manual. There is a copy online free at allcarmanuals (only Jeep they have!) It has a lot of tests you can do with simpler tools and gives you an idea of what else you need.

Plus you can always ask here.
+1
Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 AT 2:18 PM
MANDY MCCALL
Will do thanks!
Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 AT 2:41 PM