NEED HELP WITH MY BRAKES

Honda Prelude

dmg1978

November, 19, 2006 AT 3:00 PM

I have an 89 Honda Prelude, with 300,000 miles on the car, 150,000 on the motor. I bought it with a failed brake system. I have replaced the following parts.

all four calipers, master cylinder, proportioning valve, front brake hoses, pads.
my problem is when I get a few miles down the road my front brake calipers(right & left) completly lock up and my car comes to a comlpete stop. After a while(few hours)the pressure seems to back off and I can drive it home. What could cause this problem?
I have checked and the calipers are working as they should. I have no problems with bleeding. The brakes work great up until they seize up.

Any Suggestions

Bruce Hunt

November, 19, 2006 AT 10:54 PM

First of all, does it lock up once you put the foot on the brake or do they do it on their own? I would not want to affend you but the bleeding is SOOOOO very important. It is basically a two man job.

When it locks up are you noticing any one side or particular brake that is doing it?

Bleeding!

dmg1978

November, 20, 2006 AT 11:36 AM

Yeah, the left side more than right, but I have had the system power bled at an auto service center. The tend to lock up on their own, the first time was on the highway, never touched the brakes. I am actually on my third master cylinder, and third proportioning vavle. I am going to try another set of calipers and go from there.
I will definitly take the advice and bleed bleed bleed.

Thanks.

dmg1978

November, 23, 2006 AT 10:00 PM

I am back to say that I found my problem. My pedal was to far out of adjustment and was sticking. I followed my manual and adjusted it accordingly and so far no stick. I hope this is my cure and I will be able to enjoy my car.

Thanks for the help.

Bleed and Flush Your Brake System Correctly
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement Ford Explorer
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Honda Rear