CLUTCH PROBLEM 87

1987 Honda Prelude

badhabits

March, 20, 2007 AT 12:12 PM

I drive a 1987 Prelude 1.8 5-Speed. The clutch had been working fine up until 2 days ago. I've been searching all over the net with no luck.

As I was driving, I hit the clutch to gear down going onto an exit ramp, and it just wouldnt shift. When the car is turned off I can switch between gears. I can start the car in neutral, But then can't shift it into first gear. If I push start the car in 1st gear it will take off, but when stopping I hold down the clutch and there is like no neutral and the car just dies out when I stop. When actually moving, I can switch between gears but it is very hard, you pretty much have to yank the shifter to get it to budge.

It is a mechanical clutch, so there is no hydraulic system, only a cable and pully (which are pulling fine, just a lot harder to push in on the clutch pedal)

Bruce Hunt

March, 20, 2007 AT 1:26 PM

I doubt the clutch itself is the issue. There are two things I would do. First, see if tightening the cable helps. Really crank the adjustment nut. After that the second suspicion is the pressure plate has failed and the tabs have been bent and thus no longer release or disengage the clutch. New clutch time.

Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement
Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions