Engine Won't Start

RONALD.NADEAU
  • 1999 HONDA CRV
Got a question for a friend of mine. He was pulling into a gas station and the car stalled. Towed it home and after some troubleshooting found it to have spark at the plugs and fuel pressure after the filter (replaced). The engine just cranks when started but nothing. Checked for codes but it is clear. Replaced the ignition control module but still the same. Any ideas would be helpful. His only car and trying to help him out.
Wednesday, October 20th, 2010 AT 5:39 PM

Use outside fuel source thru the throttle body and see if it'll fire up-if so check the fuel pressure if its within specs and also if the injectors are pulsing

This guide will help us fix it

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Please run down this guide and report back.
+1
Wednesday, October 20th, 2010 AT 5:51 PM
RONALD.NADEAU
How do I check to see if the injectors are pulsing?
Wednesday, October 20th, 2010 AT 6:04 PM
Use a noid light -disconnect the fuel injector harness and hook it up and crank engine over if its flashing the circuit is okay, if not the computer injector ground driver is defective
Wednesday, October 20th, 2010 AT 7:37 PM
SDEMARI
  • 1999 HONDA CRV
After a carwash in which the engine was cleaned, my car would not start afterward and I had to wait for 20 minutes before I could get it started. Then it wouldn't start after a rain, and now it seems it won't start in cold and wet weather. The engine cranks and it sounds like it will almost kick in but doesn't take, it just cranks without turning over. Typically, after it warmed up it was okay, but now seems like it's getting worse. I just need to get it started to take it somewhere. Any advice? Thanks.
Thursday, June 25th, 2020 AT 11:53 AM (Merged)
KHLOW2008
Hi sdemari,

I would suggest checking the distributor. You couls have a weak ignition coil resulting in difficulting when ccold. Check the sparks, if it is orange in color, replace the coil.

If sparks are ok, check for fuel pressure at fuel rail.
BACMEL
  • 1999 HONDA CRV
  • AWD
CAR WILL CRANK BUT WILL NOT START
Cranks but no start condition:

Fuel and Spark:
Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine at least 3/16 away from ground -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it.
GLECK
  • 1999 HONDA CRV
  • AWD
My CRV will not start in the mornings. It will in the afternoon but not in the am. It will crank. Any ideas as to what is wrong?
My CRV will not start in the mornings. Next time it happens look for fuel and spark by doing below

TRASHCAR
  • 1999 HONDA CRV
Engine overfuels to no start, no trouble codes, fuel pressure 40 psi, no leaking injectors. Will start and idle with fuel line crimped til runs out of fuel, with open line it overfuels so badly it won't start. Remove injectors and they are wet but not leaking. Fuel pressure bleeds off fairly quickly at pump shutoff
Check the fuel pressure regulator and the fuel pump check valve
+2
TRASHCAR
Has 40psi fuel pressure free flow regulator return never rises over forty, will wet foul plugs, engine runs fine on restricted fuel flow. Not that I doubt your advice but that shoul eliminate pressure regulator or check. Also see no injector leak after rmoving the rail is for some reason providing far to much fuel.
+1
What fuel line did you crimped-off is it the fuel return line if so what you doing here is increasing the fuel pressure to see if the regulator controls the pressure-
TRASHCAR
Crimp the line at fuel filter reducing flow starts until pressure zeros uncrimp line and instant overfuel at correct fuel pressure. After regulator has free return flow and regulator.
ARD
  • 1998 HONDA CRV
HI, my car wont start. The lights work and the alarm goes off repeatedly when I try to get out of the car as well as the windows work but thats only when hooked up to another car via jumper cables. We went and bought a new battery and still no luck. This morning we could hear it clicking but it's not even doing that when we try to start it
KHLOW2008
After installing the battery, you need to disarm the alarm.

Check for bad ground cable connections at transmission from the battery negative terminal.
After installation of new battery, since there were no clicking, try if a jump start helps. Hope the new battery is not faulty. Did you check its voltage?
ARD
We had the battery tested and it is fine and also tried to jump it repeatedly, unfortunately my boyfriend is now at work so I don't have anyone to check out these other possible solutions. Guess ill be getting it towed to a shop. Thinking it might have something to do with the starter. Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it
KHLOW2008
It is possible to be the starter. Try giving it some knocks with a mallet and test if it clicks or cranks up.
CRVNUTS
  • 1998 HONDA CRV
1. My CRV cranks but won't start sometimes. I press on gas but still won't start. After several attempts to start, I smell fuel. When it seems like it will start it sounds like a boat engine on idle. Fuel pump and filter was replaced but the problem still happens.

2. I feel vibrations on the body when driving at certain speeds. I have new tires, got it balanced as well. Vibrations is felt more on the back end.

3. I hear annoying clacking noises at the rear when I drive even on the slightest uneven grounds.

4. My rotors has been re-surfaced but still squeeks.

I will appreciate a response for these problems is driving me nuts and costing me a lot of money on repairs.
KHLOW2008
Hi CRVNuts,

Thank you for the donation.

1. When engine cranks and would not start, you would need to test if it is fuel or ignition sparks that is missing.

When does this occur? After prolonged parking? Immediately after stopping? During Hot weathers? In the morning? Is the Check Engine Light Indicating?

Click the " First things To Check " link to get an idea what to look for.

2. Get the propeller shaft U-joint checked. If any is stiff or out of balance due to wear, vibrations would occur.

3. To check for noise problem, you would need a visual inspection. Look out for worn bushes, rust around bushes would be an indication of bad bushes. The most common cause for clacking noise over minor road uneveness are usuallly due to bad struts or its mount, bad upper arm, torsion arm radius arm or stabilizer links/bushes.

4. If the squeek is from the brakes, check the pad quality. Some pads quality would produce squeeks.

Sponsored links