Engine won't start?

DAWNCOG
  • 1997 HONDA CRV
  • AWD
I have a '97 Honda CRV with about 175k miles. I've never had a problem starting the car in the morning. But after driving the car for a little while, if I stop to run in a store or something and come back out, the car won't start. I try a few times, then let it rest, adn still nothing. A friend told me to put the pedal to the floor when I turn the key in the ignition, and that has worked for the most part. Hit or miss though. I replaced the fuel filter and it started right up, but then drove it around the block, parked, and tried to restart it and the same problem happened. Any idea what could be going on? Also, sometimes when the car starts up it is idling extremely high without my giving it any gas. Other times I have to give it lots of gas and it barely sputters at all. I am stuck! Any ideas what could be wrong? Thanks.
Monday, October 5th, 2009 AT 9:02 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi Dawncog,

When it could not start, you need to test what is missing, fuel or ignition.

Here is a link for you to check out. If you require additional info, let me know.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Is the Check Engine Light showing while engine is running.

The high idling could be due to a stuck IAC.
Thursday, October 8th, 2009 AT 10:41 AM
DAWNCOG
Thanks for the response! The check engine light had not been on for the past few months this has been happening, but it came on yesterday for the first time and I haven't had a chance to take it and check the code. Does the light being on rule out some of the other possibilities of things that could be wrong? More likely to be IAC? Thanks again.
Friday, October 9th, 2009 AT 7:45 AM
KHLOW2008
The CEL would provide an insight to the problem. It could be the cause of the problem or it could be the by product.

The trouble code would give us some idea what to look for if it is related to problem.
-1
Friday, October 9th, 2009 AT 8:38 AM
LACRUE
  • 1997 HONDA CRV
I parked it, came back to it and it would not start. It cranks but not starting, as if not getting fuel. SRS is displayed on the dash. YouTube experts say 99% of the time it is the main relay. I purchased it and it still would not start. I cannot hear the fuel pump. Please help.
Thursday, June 25th, 2020 AT 11:55 AM (Merged)
JIS001
You would need to install a fuel pressure gauge to verify fuel pressure. If no pressure then verify power is going to the fuel pump and that you have a good ground. If it is good then the fuel pump is faulty. Try having the system scanned for any fault codes. If the ECM does not respond and with the key on engine off the check engine light does not come on then you have a faulty main relay. Let us know what you find.
LACRUE
Thank you! I replaced the fuel pump, spark plugs and the main relay and it still doesn't start.
+1
JIS001
Have you checked to see what the actual fuel pressure is? If there is no pressure have you verified there is battery voltage at the fuel pump connector. When checking you should see voltage when you turn the key on for a second then it will go away. When cranking engine over you should see voltage again.

Have you also checked to see if there is spark or injector pulse at the fuel injector? Have you tried scanning for codes also? Here is a link that will show you the basics on how to check a crank no start

Also with the mileage have you replaced the timing belt yet? If that breaks then you will have problems. You can remove the distributor cap and have someone crank the engine over for you. You should see the rotor turn. If it does not then the belt has broken off. Here is another link explaining the importance of the timing belt and why it needs to be service.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-a-timing-belt-works

Let us know what you find.
+1
CHARLIE VALENTIN
  • 1997 HONDA CRV
  • AWD
My 97 CRV has oem dealer installed alarm, ignition switch was replaced on recall when new. It has been towed to an independant shop upon no-start no -turnover. It sat till next morning and it started right away for them they replaced the neutral switch. The same thing happened after a few weeks later. IT happened after having driven to work 7 miles it sat 8+ hours and would not start, again it was towed to a different Independant Shop. It sat overnight the next morning it started AOK. Nothing was replaced. The same thing happened after 1.5 to 2 months later it was cold and would not start. I left it for a couple of days then went to start it cold and it just started ok. I drove it to Dealer later and left for them to check when they went to get it and it started hot or cold for them. They kept it for a week and drove it and it started hot or cold. I drove it for 2 months it started like new. I went to start it this morning and Nothing, no cranking, no dead battery, no starting. Do I keep it? When it starts it's ok. Please Help!
Thursday, June 25th, 2020 AT 11:56 AM (Merged)
BMRFIXIT
This is a tough one
as you have to wait for it until it fail to start
and do some testing
1st try to lock and unlock the driver door using key
remove key and rotate 180*
try to start and also try to wiggle the key in place if that helped suspect bad ignition switch
try to shift it to neutral and try if started suspect misalignment P/N switch or bad connector on it
use a test light check if have power on the small wire at the starter
when a helper holding key in the start position
and suspect bad starter if so
TRINA525
  • 1997 HONDA CRV
  • AWD
I changed the battery and the parking symbol and the small red light by the steering column is blinking. Every thing turns on except the engine. I think there is a cut off switch or there is something going on with the anti theft system. Can you tell me what is wrong?
KHLOW2008
Hi trina525,

When replacing the battery, connecting the terminals would arm and trigger the alarm system. You need to disarm it to be able to start the vehicle.

Do you have the transmitter?
+2
LORISUEME
  • 1997 HONDA CRV
My 1997 CR-V has been having some electrical issues recently (one door wont lock electrically, the driver window is super slow) and now, the car won t start. My husband drove it Saturday, and said that he had a hard time starting it once, then we went to drive it again later in the day, and it wouldn t start at all. All the lights on the dash come on when we turn the key, but there is no response from the engine. At all.
Here is what I know: The ignition switch has been replaced at some point in time, due to the Honda recall
On advice, we have checked the IG fuse (ignition coil fuse?) And it is operational

I appreciate any advice!

Thank you,
Lori
TY ANDERSON
Does the engine make any noises when trying to start like a single click or no noises. It sounds like you may have a electrical issue with the starting system. When the engine doesn't crank over at all try tapping the starter motor with a rubber mallet or anything that would not conduct electricity. If it starts after tapping the starter motor (it works better when you have someone trying to start the engine and someone else tapping the starter) you most likely have a open circuit within the starter motor assembly.
As for the door lock it could be a few things most likely it is the door lock actuator itself or the wiring to the actuator in that door.
The slow window could be a weak window motor or poor window electrical connections.
Try and lube the window track with the window down and operate the window up and down to distribute the lube.
Let know what you find.
-2
TOMMER
  • 1997 HONDA CRV
  • AWD
Tried to jump the battery and the alarm system went off. It hasn't been driven for 9 days. We did get it to start once and turned it off and it went back to totally dead and when trying to jump battery alarm goes off and it won't start. The key won't lock, nothing works. We do not have the keyless entry.
BMRFIXIT
Battery no good and need to be replaced
turn key on and then try to jump the battery
or remove and replace the battery turn key on before connecting the battery
MARSHALL_D
  • 1996 HONDA CRV
  • AWD
I have owned this vehicle for 9 months. Never any problems - except that sometimes the transmission locks in park and the ignition cannot be used. The brakes being pumped a lttle solves this issue.

The car was last serviced at 75,000KM. I live in the Solomon Islands and the vehicle was imported from Japan.

Yesterday the vehicle was operating normally, no problems. This morning will will not start. It has fuel and will turn over but, but will not fire (at all).

Are there any things that I should check.
KHLOW2008
Hi Marshall_D,

Thank you for the donation.

There are many possibilities for engine not starting and we have a link here that would help in explaning how to go about check for missing links to start the engine.

Check it out and if you require further assistance, just reply to this link and I will get back to you as soon as I am online.

http://www.2carpros.com/kpages/first_things.htm

As to the key and gear shift, it is either due to a faulty brake switch or interlock system. When you are not able to shift out of park, check if the brake lights are working at the time. If not, check the brake pedal switch, it could be faulty.
NATCHLDS
  • HONDA CRV
My Car spontaneousley Shut down, I started it back up, Then it shut down again and will not start. What could cause this? The guy that towed it seems to think fuel pump but I don't agree with that. I can hear the pump kick on everytime I turn the key to the on position. I'm thinking it is something in the ignition system. It is a 98 Honda CR-V. It has been running fine untill last night. It is not the alternator either. I tested that and it works.
LOSONE
With a spontaneous shut down the 1st thing to do is to isolate if the problem is gas or spark.

Check all fuses

Because the fuel pump kicks on doesn't means it is pumping fuel. Have you ever changed the fuel filter? IMHO and with my experience the fuel pump is probably the culpret.

An alternator would never cause that problem. It will discharge the battery slowly and you will have plenty of notice.

How many miles on the CRV?

Let me know

losone

.

Sponsored links