HONDA CIVIC EX 1998 MISFIRING

• TSA
  • 1998 HONDA CIVIC

Honda Civic EX 1998, 132,800 miles, 4-cylinder, automatic, frontwheel drive; I am the original owner, living in Arizona, current temps hovering over 100 degrees (Aug-Sept), car tuned up a month ago. For a few weeks, from a cold start going to work in the morning, the car would hesitate intermittently for a few seconds, with the motor running like it was going over waves on a lake. Too early to call my mechanic and it would smooth out after a block anyway, after which time I would promptly forget about it ‘til the next morning when it did it again. Finally, it did it on the way home from work, only worse, as ‘still before 5pm, called mechanic, 'brought it in next morning. He changed out the cap and rodder, thinking bad parts from the tune-up; car runs fine on the way home. Next morning, problem returned. On my way the check engine light comes on (first time) and continues flashing. Flashing… flashing… Brought it in, my mechanic changed the ignition coil, car runs fine. Next morning, the hesitation is back. On my way home from work, the check engine light comes on solid (not flashing). Drive straight to mechanic; he scans. On the generic scanner: codes P0302 and P1399. On his buddy’s scanner: codes P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304 misfires, “OK to Drive.” He’s not sure what to do next. I need the vehicle so I go with “OK to drive” and leave, but the check engine light is still on and the car is doing the morning hesitation thing. I’m keeping it under 4000RPM. Per my mechanic’s suggestion, until I can do without the car long enough for someone to figure it out what’s the fix… Can you help?

Tuesday, September 4th, 2007 AT 9:43 PM

• Rasmataz

You got the whole enchaladas here- All these parts being thrown at it, is it OEM parts?

In this situation I will attack the EGR-look for vacuum leaks and have my gas lab test and check the fuel pressure. If you wish I can give your mechanic a grocery list to work on it for a week.

You have a random misfire and every single cylinder is misfiring-You got a very complicated problem here-

Saturday, September 8th, 2007 AT 9:30 PM
  • TSA

Yes, I do have a complicated problem.

Well, the next time I brought it in, there was "carbon tracking, " so again the cap & rotor was changed out (for the 3rd time. Sigh). I said, "Geez, do you think this might be a symptom of a greater problem?&Quot; 'Ran okay for a day, then same thing. 'Back to the shop and only scan code showing this time was 301 so the #1 spark plug was changed out. Ran okay a day. Engine light on again.

As the car seems to exhibit it's symptoms most from a cold start ('first thing in the a.M.), I've dropped the car off tonight so the mechanic can drive it from a cold start. And see what new return codes it's "throwing" (I'm getting down with the lingo now. =). I printed out your page on misfires and left it face down on the floorboard passenger side. I'm not sure how receptive he'll be to that.

One other symptom that's occurred more of late than when I posted my original question is that when I start out -- with the car being not so sure it wants to "go, " then it will surge, like all of a sudden the gas pedal woke up.

Apologies if I'm not very good at explaining things.

Thanks for your time and help.

Tuesday, September 18th, 2007 AT 11:48 PM
  • Rasmataz

Have em do a compression check on no.1 and if has a leakdown tester get em to do it and also check that particular injector.

Atleast your mechanic is trying his best-some crooks will go behind the dash and disconnect the check engine light and tape the opening lol. And you thinking its fixed.

Wednesday, September 19th, 2007 AT 3:19 AM
  • 1scholar

My 99 civic LX just started having this problem today (138 k miles). Have you heard anything more about this, or found the problem/solution?

Thanks, a ton!

Monday, October 1st, 2007 AT 10:27 PM
  • Rasmataz

What are the OBD2 code/s you got? Give me more details

+1
Monday, October 1st, 2007 AT 11:43 PM
  • 1scholar

Now the check engine light came on and it's throwing the P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, and P1399 errors. All these errors in the same day (suggests it's not the plugs). These are misfire codes for all cylinders, one general one, and another that I think is unrelated.

Tuesday, October 2nd, 2007 AT 8:03 PM
  • Rasmataz

Find the EGR clean it out, hope we get lucky and reduce them No.S

Tuesday, October 2nd, 2007 AT 9:07 PM
  • 1scholar

Do you know where the EGR is it located on a 1999 Honda civic lX? It's external to the intake or exhaust manifold, right?

Thanks.

Tuesday, October 2nd, 2007 AT 10:44 PM
  • Rasmataz

Look Below

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_1998_Honda_Civic_EX_EGR_1.jpg

Tuesday, October 2nd, 2007 AT 11:41 PM
  • Laowu

My 1999 civic lx has got the same thing now. Anybody know how to fix it? Thanks for help.

-1
Sunday, November 1st, 2009 AT 9:17 PM