96 Honda Dies after warms up at idle

JOHNCL
  • 1996 HONDA CIVIC
My 1996 Honda Civic started to die at idle the other day but only after it warms up, so when i'm in traffic it dies most of the time at stop lights but after the engine warms up. Whats wrong with it?JCL
Wednesday, July 11th, 2007 AT 2:56 PM

BRUCE HUNT
Otherwise it runs fine? Check all of the basics. Pull the plug wires off one at a time and look at the plug well for oil. Should not be any. Check the air filter and clean or replace.

If you lightly apply pressure at the gas pedal will it keep running fine. You have not mentioned if it is a manual or an automatic. Light pressure works?
Wednesday, July 11th, 2007 AT 3:57 PM
JOHNCL
The car is a 5-speed-if the car dies at a stop sign I can restart it no problem and it will idle fine just as long as I do not break idle with my foot on the gas pedal and if I do break idle it will idle bad and then usually die. Any other ideas?
Wednesday, July 11th, 2007 AT 8:42 PM
BRUCE HUNT
I still don't have it. You ARE supporting the idle at a stop with you foot on the accelerator, right?

I am going to run with that. So, what is the lowest rpm it idles nicely at with assist from your foot. If it idles at about 750 to 800 rpm that is where it should be. Given that everything else is in good shape you could adjust the idle speed up to match that position. Screw is located on the throttle body.
Thursday, July 12th, 2007 AT 11:48 AM
JOHNCL
Well I adjusted the idle up at the throttle body with the small set screw and locknut, and it works much better but what caused the change in the first place, the idle screw was tight?John
Thursday, July 19th, 2007 AT 12:30 PM
BRUCE HUNT
Sensors are constantly sending information to the computer and it tries to adjust for them. You may have one such as an O2 that is beginning to age. It will manifest itself. What is the rpm that it is idling at now when it is warm? Under 1000 and possibly around 800 or 900?
Thursday, July 19th, 2007 AT 1:28 PM
JOHNCL
The car does'nt have tach and neither do i, so I went on sound, it seems to be right where it should be, i'm sure it must be a an O2 sending weal signals. Thanks for the help. John
Thursday, July 19th, 2007 AT 10:32 PM